Canned starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heeler

Reaction score
I read a few tidbits of info on this subject and asked for more but I decided to take a stab at it myself. It did'nt seem all that difficult so I took the plung and gave it a go....I boiled 2 gallons of water and added a LME (Andersons Kicker LME 1.1lb can) my finishing gravity was 1040. Then I poured 4 quarts of the wort and boiled them like you would if you were canning veggies. Of course sanitation is everything (I use Starsan) I set the lids on the jars and began the steaming process and of course as the wort cools it will seat the lids and creat suction. I dont know how long these will last but canned food lasts for a while. Next time its time to brew I'll pull out one of my starter quarts and put it on the stir plate.:rockin:

Your preservation method is hot water bath canning, but since wort is a low acid food you must use the more intense method of pressure canning (per the FDA).

I can my starter wort for 15 minutes at 15 psi in a presser canner.

If you want to can low-acid foods such as red meats, sea food, poultry, milk, and all fresh vegetables with the exception of most tomatoes and WORT, you will need a pressure canner. These foods fit into the low acid group since they have an acidity, or pH level, of 4.6 or greater. The temperature which must be reached and maintained (for a specified amount of time) to kill the bacteria is 240 F. Pressure canning is the only canning method recommended safe by the U.S.D.A. for low-acid foods such as vegetables, meats, and fish. Ordinary water bath canners can only reach 212 F and can not to kill the types of bacteria that will grow in low acid foods. This temperature can be reached only by creating steam under pressure as achieved in quality pressure canners.

+1. You REALLY want to do the sterilization canning method. Bad stuff won't live in beer, but they thrive in wort.

Get a pressure canner and do the 15 minutes @ 15 PSI thing.

When I did it, I cooled the canner down with water so I could open it right away and this is a mistake. Let if cool down on it's own. Takes 10-15 minutes, but it will prevent the wort from boiling out of the jars when the pressure drops too fast. (due to temp being too low for the temp the wort is at.)

If you have a pressure canner, it works great!

Thanks for the info guys. Are you suggesting that the wort I've created WILL infact be infected and useless in the next month or so --even in the fridge? I'm not argueing with you just trying to learn. I assumed that boiling in the BOP and then boiling in the jar and sealing at that time would be somewhat sterile? Maybe I'm thinking -sanitized- and I should be thinking sterilized. Anyway I do own a pressure cooker and in the future I WILL employ it for this project. thanks again.:drunk:

Thanks for the info guys. Are you suggesting that the wort I've created WILL infact be infected and useless in the next month or so --even in the fridge? I'm not argueing with you just trying to learn. I assumed that boiling in the BOP and then boiling in the jar and sealing at that time would be somewhat sterile? Maybe I'm thinking -sanitized- and I should be thinking sterilized. Anyway I do own a pressure cooker and in the future I WILL employ it for this project. thanks again.:drunk:

You can keep it in the fridge, and it will probably be ok. It will NOT be safe at room temperature. I'd bring it to a brief boil again before using, just to make sure.

Ahhhhh..very good point. I'm just glad I dont have to chuck it and start over. Anyway thanks so much for passing on your wisdom.

Latest posts

Back