Using honey in root beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jparamch

Reaction score
Hi,

I just picked up a new keg and tap assembly, and finally am going to branch into the non-alcoholic world of root beer. Picked up an extract, and plan on altering the recipe somewhat to make it better... I grabed 8oz of malto-dextrine, and plan on using that in addition to the normal sugar recipe (likely, raw organic sugar). I also want to substitute some honey in there (most likely meadowfoam thanks to it's marshmallow/vanilla flavorings). Do i substitute this pound for pound? Or is there some other method?

This is going in a 3gal corny, found a guy who had probably 20-30 in his garage!

thanks!

it's been my experience that too much honey in root beer can cause lots of problems with foaming when dispensing from kegs.

side note,

20-30 3 gal kegs?

can u see if he/she would be willing to sell any of them?

thanks

side note,

20-30 3 gal kegs?

can u see if he/she would be willing to sell any of them?

thanks

He is. Which is how I got one from him. :)

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/for/1716629550.html

So I made my root beer as such:

3 Tbs concentrate
5 cups Sugar in the Raw
12 oz Fireweed Honey
6 tbs Malto-Dextrine
3 gal water

It seems to have a fairly harsh bite to it still, so I think I need to replenish a pint or two worth of water mixed with at least 1cup more sugar, and possibly more malto-dex to add more mouth feel.

Back