My grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcojr72

Reaction score
Well thanks to the wealth of information here I just completed my DIY grain mill from a pasta machine. I picked up the mill from Joann Fabrics, and it just happened to be 50% off, so $12!!! I roughened up the rollers with a drill bit and built a hopper out of plywood (hopper holds 9.5lbs of grain). I cut a home in a plywood work table and bolted the mill to the table. I hang a bucket underneath to catch the grain. This thing works great for $12.

I just milled 9 lbs of grain for a brew tomorrow. I used a drill and it took me about 15 minutes. This seemed like a long time, I am wondering if I roughen the rollers some more I can reduce this time. Anyhow I am a little new to AG brewing and was wondering if someone could critique my crushed grain. It looks good to me, but I would not know otherwise. A picture of the mill and grain is below.

Thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Grain looks good from what I could make out in pic,hard to tell if the husks were not broken or split in half entact.**** even if it took you 15 min,I love your ambition to have found a way to crush grain at Joanne fabrics..Kick ass!! youre already headed for therapy and a divorce....hehe nice use of basic equip!!

I found that due to the small diameter of the rollers, they really need to be quite rough to pull the grain through at any speed. Also, a second pass through the mill will give you a more thorough crush. IMO, don't be afraid to really work the drill bit on the rollers so they are quite marred.

HPIM0583.jpg

Yes of all places Joanne fabrics. The conversation with the little old lady worker was quite amusing, something along these lines:

ME-"Excuse me, could you tell me where the pasta/clay rolling machines are?"

OLD LADY-"Yes follow me. Here it is and here are some clay supplies that you will need to get started."

ME-"No, I just need the machine"

OLD LADY-"Oh, you already have everything else"

ME-"Actually I am using this to brew BEER"

OLD LADY- (long pause and looks at me as if I have 3 eyes) "Oh...."

Thanks for the response. I guess my efficiency will tell the story tomorrow.

Oh yeah, mine are nowhere near as scratched up as yours wilserbrewer. I will need to hit them again. On average how quickly can you mill your grain?

Oh yeah, mine are nowhere near as scratched up as yours wilserbrewer. I will need to hit them again. On average how quickly can you mill your grain?

I can't recall how long it took. I just used it for a batch or two as a fun experiment out of curiosity, and concluded I prefer the corona type mills. Not 15 minutes by any means. I also forund two passes at a wider setting gave a better and faster crush. Don't be afraid to really dig up those rollers.

The rollers need to "gouged" not scratched FWIW.:mug:

Back