When Transfering into Secondary, Keep the Bottom Gunk or Toss it ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorchingice

Reaction score
I am currently making beer by using partial grain kits I purchase online. Except for one nut brown beer (which has fruit extract that goes in right before bottling) None of the beers I make have hops or anything that is supposed to be added later in a secondary fermenter. I use the secondary to free up the brew bucket for another batch.

My question is when I transfer the beer from the brew bucket into the carboy, I use a siphon and at the end, there is a lot of gunk at the bottom. So far I have been siphoning out as much beer as I can into the secondary fermenter while discarding as much of the gunk as possible to filter out the garbage.

Today I got curious as to whether I should be leaving all that in especially if it contains hops and other residue that the beer needs to fully develop or if what I am doing by discarding all the bottom waste is the correct way. I usually Wait 1 - 1.5 weeks for the specific gravity to stabilize, then transfer to the secondary fermenter. I then leave the beer for about 2 weeks in the secondary before bottling. Once I bottle I wait about 2 weeks before my first taste.

So with 1.5 weeks in the brew bucket. Should I transfer all the bottom gunk into the secondary or keep tossing it ?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Oh ya keep the beer you are transfering as clear as possible..the rest is garbage unless you save for yeast..Jeff

Back