Belgian Imperial Stout (?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I ran across a recipe for one of these and am going to have a go at it. They're 2 of my favorite styles, and I want to get something going that will age. Anyone ever try/brew one of these? Am using wlp500...It should be interesting.

um i thought imperial stout was a British thing.... and belgian beers where generally light to amber in color and a completely different flavor profile (different yeasts,malts, hops, water etc), case in point i dont think there is such a thing as a belgian black ale even though new belgian brewery up in colorado has a belgian black ale called 1554 (i think they just needed a dark beer to market and kept looking in books till they could find a dark beer) i could be wrong though, i would be curious to see your recipe for a belgian imperial stout

Sigh, it's one of those hybrid belgianified styles like a Belgian IPA. I'd start with an imp stout recipe you like and just sub all belgian ingredients for the british/american ones and use a belgian yeast. Maybe throw in a bit of candi sugar.

Here's where you can get belgian malts: Malt Grains (Belgian)

Here's the recipe I found:

11.67 lbs. American 2-row info
2.50 lbs. Belgian Munich info
0.83 lbs. Belgian Wheat Malt info
1.25 lbs. Belgian Chocolate Malt info
1.67 lbs. Candi Sugar Dark info

2.1 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
0.8 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min. info

Yeast : White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale info

I may tweak this a little, but I like the idea. I think there are only 1 or 2 commercial examples out there.

Style, Shmyle.

Brew what you like, and then you'll always have something interesting to drink.

As for NB 1554, New Belgium explains the genesis of 1554 on their website as follows:

Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Enlightened Black Ale uses a light lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel.

Latest posts

Back