my latest random pellicle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
i'm suspecting the stopper... it was a smash ale, 7lbs mo, .5oz pacific gem kettle hops. this is week fourish.... it was clear three days ago and slated to be kegged today, now it's going into deep sleep for a few months to see what happens.

grumbles about having to ready a new secondary....

brett_003.jpg

Oh holy night!!! Is that a pellicule or a sheet of mold?????

WOW...Where's Landhoney, or Evan! when you need them?

If you're racking you will give it a taste and let us know won't you??

Oh holy night!!! Is that a pellicule or a sheet of mold?????

WOW...Where's Landhoney, or Evan! when you need them?

If you're racking you will give it a taste and let us know won't you??

Looks like a pellicle to me!

Let us know how it turns out. And I don't think 3 months is enough. Give it like 12-18 to see what happens. :)

It will likely taste terrible at the moment, but if you got some good wild yeast in there, you never know.

Looks like Brett pellicle to me! Congrats, it's a sour! :p Hey, it could be good in the end right?

I have something similar going on with my christmas ale...not too happy about it. It's not quite to the point yours is, but it grows everyday.

i've had it happen before..... it's the carboy or the stopper. both or either are haunted/blessed. you decide. six months and it is clear as day, and crisp as ice cold spring water. thing is i only get one batch like this every six months. whacked out cellar sprites...

i've had it happen before..... it's the carboy or the stopper. both or either are haunted/blessed. you decide. six months and it is clear as day, and crisp as ice cold spring water. thing is i only get one batch like this every six months. whacked out cellar sprites...

Well ofcourse you only get it once every 6 months, the carboy and stopper is in use for 6 months at a time. :D

That pellicle looks just like the one on my Flander's Red. Its likely to be very tasty.

Craig

Brettanomyces' natural barrier against oxidation. They will kick up a layer of muck (yeast cells) that form a protective coat over the top of the beer. Therefore, oxygen won't get in.

This is done because Brett acts much more slowy than Saccharomyces and you have to age them for a long time in order for them to complete fermentation.

The one in my avatar has been there since March of this year.

Brettanomyces' natural barrier against oxidation. They will kick up a layer of muck (yeast cells) that form a protective coat over the top of the beer. Therefore, oxygen won't get in.

This is done because Brett acts much more slowy than Saccharomyces and you have to age them for a long time in order for them to complete fermentation.

The one in my avatar has been there since March of this year.

I learn something new every day!

thanks for the answer.

That's absolutely georgeous!
I love a good pellicle.:rockin:

I've got four going here, myself. Will be starting another on Sunday

StarSan is your best bet to help kill off the bugs. Iodophor doesn't kill off Brett, or Pediococcus.

i recall finding the top of the airlock missing, and the water level being rather low about two weeks ago... i suspect my little buddy got in then.

maybe one of the spiders pissed in there. still blaming the cellar sprites on this one. ;)

I have a pilsner that looks exactly like that. It still smells yummy, but by god it looks horrible. I'm going to let it do its thing for another six months then figure out WTF I'm going to do with it.

No matter how it got in there, you ought to get a new stopper. Once that stuff gets into your stopper, it takes another Big Bang to get it out. That stopper now is your "sour stopper."

Congratulations on the Flanders Pale-Thing!

TL

Back