Hop pellets bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71k10

Reaction score
I have just moved a John Bull IPA to my carboy from the primary fermentor and at the recommendation of my LHBS I bought a bag of pellets and a hop bag to dry hop during this stage. What I forgot to do for about a month was to keep the hops in the fridge, they have been in the sealed bag at around 70 degrees and they look ok but should I use them? My plan was to just throw them in the bag and stuff them down the carboy hole and let the bag sit until I transfer the beer to my keg.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

I think they should be fine. I normally see hop pellets at my LHBS at room temperature and assume that they've been there for at least a couple of weeks (just my assumption though).

They should be alright, only have to worry about light exposure. No need for the hop bag though, you can just toss them right in the carboy. They will settle out in a week or two.

Cheers

hops start turning from green to yellow/brown if they get oxidized. so if they look normal, they should be fine.

wop31 said:
They should be alright, only have to worry about light exposure. No need for the hop bag though, you can just toss them right in the carboy. They will settle out in a week or two.

Cheers

Agreed on all counts. Just open the bag, look at them, and smell them. If all is well, then all is well. And, save yourself the trouble of a hop beg when using pellets. After you toss them in, you may notice that they just spread out along the surface. You can rock the fermenter gently to get them to go in the beer, and your dry hopping will be done in a few days (or however long you wanted it to go).

TL

As long as your package was sealed and out of direct sunlight or fluorescent light you should be fine. If you plan on saving your packaged hops you should store them in the freezer, though.

Back