OK! who gave the rookie a keg..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
Ok, I just ordered a refrigerator kegging conversion kit from brewers discount. I received all the parts including a 5 gal corny, but I have one problem. I have ZERO experience with kegging. :D I am fairly familiar as to where everything goes as in ball lock’s gas in air out and how the faucet/ shank systems SHOULD look and set up. But since I don’t have any real written directions I was wondering if anyone could offer me a little how-to info. Really a solid instruction manual or video is what I need….do any exist on the net…? But any tips I can get would be helpful. Some immediate question’s I have from a quick first look at the stuff are as follows:

1. My corny is labeled as rebuilt pressure corny…..and when I pulled up on what seems to be the pressure valve…Pressure was shooting out. So my first question is …should I release all pressure to remove lid and clean before I put beer in…I am assuming I have to do that to get the beer in at all…correct..? Then after it has been depressed and beer added I would start carbonating with Co2 through the gas in lock from the regulator Co2 setup?

2. That leads me to my next question. Which disconnect is gas and which is air. I have one white one black. And one has a ribbed area where the tubing connects and the other smooth…. Also how do I put the connects on…just shove them down on the corny valves … I was giving them a light push to see if they would go on and they were not. I didn’t want to break anything so if they do need a good shove on I didn’t do it.

3. With the tubing… Clamps need to be secured at keg and regulator ends…or one or the other?

4. C02.… When I finally figure out the other steps and I need to carbonate. I am assuming my method with be as follows please correct me if I am wrong. FIRST. Attach regulator to C02, while canister pressure is closed. SECOND attach has hose to regulator, as well as gas in on corny. Third.. Slowly turn gas on and watch regulator to indicate amount of gas until it has hit the pressure I need for carbonation ( which gauge of the 2 tells me the psi?)….then …WALK AWAY..?

Basically I might be in asking to many questions, but I am not feeling like breaking anything before I even get beer out of it. So please Kegging Guru’s bless me with your knowledge!

From Homebrew heaven dot com...

Navigate: StoreFront / Beer Brewing / Home Brewing Books/Videos/Software / Using Your Cornelius Kegging System
Product SKU Description Price
Using Your Cornelius Kegging System
In Stock
A60 The name says it all. Details of kegging for the home brewer. By Pat Anderson. 22 pgs. $3.95
Add to Cart
Shipping Weight: 1.04 lb.

This link helped me a lot when i first got into kegging:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/pdf/corny-keg.pdf

1. Removing the pressure to clean and add beer is fine. I dont know what else you would do.

2. gray/white is gas and black is liquid. I dont know exactly how to describe how you attach them, but I will do my best. First of all make sure you are putting the correct one on the correct post, then on the connect, there is going to be a 'lip' sort of thing that goes all the way around. You need to lift this up before pushing on the post. If you have one of your disconnects handy, grab it and you will see what I am saying. Lift up that lip, put it on the post and push until it snaps in place and the 'lip' falls back down. Sounds confusing I know, but I dont know how else to describe it.

3. I guess it depends on how you define need. I clamp every hose connection, as to if I need to or not, I dont know. However, clamps are dirt cheap and take a matter of seconds to install. I figure, why not?

4. Sounds good to me, but you want to make sure that you have something attached to your out line. Like a picnic tap or something.

Hope this helps.

mdf191 said:
1. My corny is labeled as rebuilt pressure corny…..and when I pulled up on what seems to be the pressure valve…Pressure was shooting out. So my first question is …should I release all pressure to remove lid and clean before I put beer in…I am assuming I have to do that to get the beer in at all…correct..? Then after it has been depressed and beer added I would start carbonating with Co2 through the gas in lock from the regulator Co2 setup?
Yes. Release the pressure valve. Lift the locking ring on the lid and push down on the lid to then remove. Disassemble everything and clean everything thoroughly. Taking a keg completely apart is good because you’ll get familiar with all the working parts. Once cleaned, get some keg lube (you can use Vaseline if you don’t have any) and give all those rubber grommets a good lubing. It will make a world of difference in sealing up that keg.

2. That leads me to my next question. Which disconnect is gas and which is air. I have one white one black. And one has a ribbed area where the tubing connects and the other smooth…. Also how do I put the connects on…just shove them down on the corny valves … I was giving them a light push to see if they would go on and they were not. I didn’t want to break anything so if they do need a good shove on I didn’t do it.
Black is liquid and white/grey is gas. The keg should also have some sort of stamp near each post labeling it “In” (for gas) or “out” (for liquid). The locking connectors have a sleeve that slides up when you connect and disconnect. If you’ve ever used a quick-disconnect for a garden hose, it’s the same principal.

3. With the tubing… Clamps need to be secured at keg and regulator ends…or one or the other?
Yes. All hose connections need to be securely clamped. I use those worm clamps you can get at hardware stores. Folks around here have different methods, but for now they work fine. Get the ¼ inch clamps and get those hoses secured to your picnic tap, your manifold, your regulator…etc)

Inventory3.JPG

4. C02.… When I finally figure out the other steps and I need to carbonate. I am assuming my method with be as follows please correct me if I am wrong. FIRST. Attach regulator to C02, while canister pressure is closed. SECOND attach has hose to regulator, as well as gas in on corny. Third.. Slowly turn gas on and watch regulator to indicate amount of gas until it has hit the pressure I need for carbonation ( which gauge of the 2 tells me the psi?)….then …WALK AWAY..?

Pretty much. Make all your connections first (with clamps and gas connector all securely fastened). Then turn on the gas before you attach connector to the keg. This will let you see immediately if you have any line leaks. Once you’re sure the line is tight, slid the gas lock onto the “In” post by sliding that collar up and push down. You’ll here the whoosh of gas going into the keg and slowly stop as the keg pressurizes.

Dual_Guage_Regulator_A.jpg
In this case, it would be the top dial. THe PSI gauge you want to pay attention to will be in 10PSI increments (or there abouts).

mdf191 said:
Ok, I just ordered a refrigerator kegging conversion kit from brewers discount. I received all the parts including a 5 gal corny, but I have one problem. I have ZERO experience with kegging. :D I am fairly familiar as to where everything goes as in ball lock’s gas in air out and how the faucet/ shank systems SHOULD look and set up. But since I don’t have any real written directions I was wondering if anyone could offer me a little how-to info. Really a solid instruction manual or video is what I need….do any exist on the net…? But any tips I can get would be helpful. Some immediate question’s I have from a quick first look at the stuff are as follows:

Basically I might be in asking to many questions, but I am not feeling like breaking anything before I even get beer out of it. So please Kegging Guru’s bless me with your knowledge!

1. Always clean EVERYTHING that comes into contact with your brew - Everytime.

2. The way that I remember which disconnects are which:
GREY = GAS BLACK = BREW

3. Both ends - if I understand your Question.

4. Attach the hoses, to the regulator - then attach reg to tank, turn on.
High Pressure gauge = pressure of the tank
Low Pressure = pressure of the gas going into the keg

Kilroy

I bought all my kegs from them. They are pretty clean on the inside. I just rinse them out with one-step and has been good to go. I can't stress enough on PRESSURE TESTING the gas lines. One small leak equal one empty CO2 canister quickly. From discountbrewers, the dail on the right is your line pressure. I just generally keep it about 10 psi on all my brews along with the full length of cobra tap hose that came with your setup, pours just about right. I use a slight dab of mineral oil on the gaskets between cleaning.

Back