No sign of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bedub

Reaction score
About 18 hours ago I put in a nice Stone IPA clone in to start fermenting. I see no sign at all that active fermentation has started. Should I be worried?

what did you pitch, starter vials, smack pack? if no starter how old were the vials/packs? what's the temp at right now and what did you pitch at? what's the OG? sorry varying factors for why it may not be going which is why the q's...

Is it in a bucket? Sometimes the seals on those can be bad and it won't show airlock activity

bedub said:
About 18 hours ago I put in a nice Stone IPA clone in to start fermenting. I see no sign at all that active fermentation has started. Should I be worried?

Ive had some take 2 days to start. Check your gravity it'll tell ya. If nutin in 72 hrs repitch new yeast (do starter with liquid it helps).

Remember, the only "activity" that means ANYTHING is a change in gravity, anything else can be deceiving, especially bubbles. Also remember that as the sticky in the beginners forum, and the million posts on here reiterate, it can take up to 3 days for yeast to get going- Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we STILL don't mean airlock activity.

It's too soon to even begin to worry...after 72 hours take a grav reading and come back and say "You were right guys, thanks!!" :)

If you're waiting 72 hrs for fermentation to start, you're doing something wrong. Pay attention to pitch rate, temp, and yeast health and you won't have these things to worry about next time.

A properly pitched ale at the correct temperature will be active in 12-24 hrs at most. 8hrs or less is typical.

Back