Possible contamination!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmr9

Reaction score
So I brewed up a batch of oktoberfest style beer with a German ale yeast strain. I'm normally very good at keeping things sanitary but I discovered some brown floating nastiness in it...I know one should never dump their beer too early, so I'm just wondering if this is a bad one.

image-3212006111.jpg

Brewed it on the 8th of September by the way just in case that helps

I brewed an Alt with Wyeast's German Ale 1007 on the 6th, and the krausen still hasn't fallen. Picture is blurry, but it looks like yours is just moving along faster.

It's probably fine. You won't know till tasting but I've had some pretty funky looking krausen and still got great beer.

I also used the 1007 strain in mine...Perhaps patience is key here. Should I wait until it settles or rack it to a secondary now? Also it kinda smells....a bit off

Up to you, but personally, I'd wait. It's only been 10 days. But I've also had batches where the krausen didn't fall even after a month, and I just racked from underneath it.

Those are just yeast rafts. 10 days isn't long where primary is concerned. Instructions be damned. There aren't any whitish filmy bubbles or strings connecting them. Looks fine. And some strains of yeast,like british or euro ones can really put out some funky smells.

Thanks for the input and advice guys, I really appreciate it! I'll leave it primary for another week or so just to be safe, rack to secondary and leave it alone for another couple weeks. As a side note: is it possible to lager the 1007 strain? Maybe not necessarily to lager it for extended periods, but maybe to leave the secondary in the fridge for a week or two?

Back