Best PSI for a Hefe ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
I ste
My regulator to 20 psi at 39 degrees to get 3.25 co2 into my Hefeweisen is that ok ??

Yes. To maintain that level of carbonation you will have to serve at that pressure as well. Which means u will have to have a really long serving line, If u don't want a glass full of foam.

Jdaught said:
Yes. To maintain that level of carbonation you will have to serve at that pressure as well. Which means u will have to have a really long serving line, If u don't want a glass full of foam.

I usualy serve at 12psi what will happen if I serve at 12 ??

Anyone ?? Will I rune the beer if I get the co2 volume too high, I want to serve at 12 psi because I think it's general for all beers... I just put it on gas like 2 hours ago, will an overnight 20 psi scrap the batch ??

The pressure in the keg will drop to what the 12psi it is getting which I think is 2-2.5 volumes. I just carbed up my Hefe. I've got it set to 18psi which gives me 3 volumes. That is about as high as I can go with my 14 ft of 3/16 beer line, any higher and I get a glass full I foam.

So I have no choise to carb it at 12 psi then? Because I have an american amber ale that i'm gonna keg friday, they obviously don't have the same carbonation... I don't have a dual guage to pressurise at different levels...

Honestly I thought that I could carb at 20 psi for 2 weeks and then burp the keg a few times then adjust the Psi to 12 and pour :( I don't know what to do to get a good carbed Hefe without interfearing with my amber ale and glasses full of foam...

I can atest one thing, over 12 psi I get foam no mater what beer I pour...

You will have to serve at 12 psi if you are getting foam at any higher of a pressure. You can carb it up at higher pressures, that just carbs it up faster. When u burp the keg and set at 12 you are releasing that excess pressure and it is maintaining that 12 psi pressure, not the 20 that u just released (burped), and u will have to release a few times throughout the day for it to get back down to 12 psi otherwise you will be pouring foam. Every time u release it the liquid will let go of more co2 pressure until the liquid and gas are at the same psi. The only way to get a higher carb level and run higher pressure without foam is to get longer serving line and without a dual regulator u won't be able to carb two beers differently. Hope this helps.

Jdaught said:
You will have to serve at 12 psi if you are getting foam at any higher of a pressure. You can carb it up at higher pressures, that just carbs it up faster. When u burp the keg and set at 12 you are releasing that excess pressure and it is maintaining that 12 psi pressure, not the 20 that u just released (burped), and u will have to release a few times throughout the day for it to get back down to 12 psi otherwise you will be pouring foam. Every time u release it the liquid will let go of more co2 pressure until the liquid and gas are at the same psi. The only way to get a higher carb level and run higher pressure without foam is to get longer serving line and without a dual regulator u won't be able to carb two beers differently. Hope this helps.

So if I get you right, I must carb the beer at the max pressure I can serve it at...

Ex: I know that over 12 psi my glass will have foam, so I shouldn't carb over 12 psi.... But isn't 12 psi a bit low for a Hefe ??

Right. You can carb at higher pressures to get it there faster, then u have to burp the keg til it is back down to serving pressure. Example is that u could set it at 30 psi for a day or so then drop it and hold it there for a week and then burp and serve. If u just set it to 12 psi and wait then it will take a couple weeks before it reaches that level of carbonation. Yes that is a low carb level for a Hefe. I think it's like 2.5 and Hefe is usually over 3. I had 10 ft of 3/16" serving line and could only serve at 12 psi. I went and bought 14 ft of the same line just so I could serve at 18 psi which is 3 volumes CO2 which is closer to what it should be.

Is there a chart on internet that sais how long until fully carbed at a specific temp at a specific Psi ?

Thanks dude :) realy helpfull !! So I guess that I will never brew 2 diferent carbed beers at the same time :) looks like I will be drinking low carb Hefe :(

Jdaught said:
Glad to help. I'm sure it will still be good.
Cheers!

Actualy just went to pour a mini glass to get the taste of it once cold, because yesterday I drank the test tube after reading and the beer was room temp, I find that it tastes water :( I am SMACK on the beersmith readings, this recipie came from the northern brewer database, will the taste develope in a few ?? Left it in primary carboy for 14 days then kegged it last night :(

There is another solution. You can increase the resistance inside the dip tube of the keg. Epoxy mixing tubes slide in the dip tube and increase the resistance. If I remember correctly three and a half mixers fit in a dip tube. You can read lots more about the mixers by searching swizzle sticks or epoxy mixer in the forums. I ordered some a few years ago and use them in my root beer kegs for the kids.

The other solution is a perlick spout with adjustable flow

image-173889099.jpg

jesseroberge said:
Actualy just went to pour a mini glass to get the taste of it once cold, because yesterday I drank the test tube after reading and the beer was room temp, I find that it tastes water :( I am SMACK on the beersmith readings, this recipie came from the northern brewer database, will the taste develope in a few ?? Left it in primary carboy for 14 days then kegged it last night :(

Was your OG and FG where it was suppose to be? I doubt any more flavors will develope. Hefe is meant to be drank fresh so it should have its flavor now.

Did it have flavor when it was at room temp? I'm not sure why it would not have flavor, if the brew and fermentation went well and u hit your numbers. Maybe someone else will chime in with some thoughts.

Jdaught said:
Did it have flavor when it was at room temp? I'm not sure why it would not have flavor, if the brew and fermentation went well and u hit your numbers. Maybe someone else will chime in with some thoughts.

It had VERY little taste even at room temp... I think the northern brewer recipie from the beer smith database made me mash at 146F for 75 mins... Maby that is why my taste is so low :( any suggestions on a solution ??

Ya i believe that is low for a Hefe or any other beer. I would say that is why the flavor is not right. I'm not sure u can do anything to bring it back. Mashing that low doesn't leave any unfermentables for flavor or body. At least thats how i understand it. I didn't even think u would get a good conversion at a temp that low, but if u hit your gravity then I guess u did. Hopefully someone else gives some input on this matter. I've never mashed anything that low and can't say what the results should have been.

Back