Late Extract Addition and the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSteele

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster here. I've been reading here and there about techniques for late malt extraction addition. I think I'm familiar enough with the timings, when it's appropriate, etc. I haven't found a post that addresses how the addition should affect the timing of your boil.

For example, this weekend I brewed the Doze Black IPA extract kit from morebeer.com. With 20 minutes left on the boil, I added the remaining half of the extract. I did it slowly, but it still stopped the boil and took another 5 minutes or so to bring back to full boil.

So my question is, when the boil stops and takes minutes to come back, should that time period count towards the 60 minutes of boil? Or should I stop my timer and resume once the boil resumes?

Thanks for your help!

I've done it both ways and it really doesn't make a huge difference. You'll likely get a little more (darker) color from adding the time onto the end which somewhat defeats the purpose of a late extract addition anyway. RDWHAHB.

I usually wind up adding a few minutes to the boil. My last brews were wheats and bm's cent blonde, both came out straw colored! Just watch your hop utilization with the late additions (it increases).

I pause the timer when I add extract late and un-pause it when the boil is restored. I generally do my late addition at 15 minutes. Whether I've got a hop addition there or not, I add my Whirlfloc then, so it's a convenient/consistent waypoint. I always add the Whirlfloc and any 15 minute hops after the wort is back up to a full boil.

Some folks pause, some keep running, I've done both, and haven't really noticed any differences in my beers. Even though you don't see a full on boil, it's doubtful that the temp have cooled that much, the wort is still pretty near boiling, so all alpha acids in the hops are getting isomerized still.

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. This was my first time with the late addition, hoping to avoid what I believe to be that "extract twang" I've heard about that I suspected was present in some of my first batches. I'm excited to see how this works out.

When I do late additions,I wait till flame out to add the remaining DME & LME. Cover & let steep 15mins to sanitize fermenter,etc. Then proceed as normal. My ales are clear,good head/carbonation,& better tasting than before.

Back