American pale ale recipe, need input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
Hello all, recipe I came up with using the approx. 2 oz. of my home grown chinook hops. Please read it through and give me your thought to make it better.

6# Light LME
1# Light DME
8 oz. biscuit malt
8 oz. 60L or 40L not sure?
8 oz. carapils

1 oz. cascade 60min.
.5 oz. amarillo 15 min.
approx. 1 oz. chinook leaf 10 min.
.5 oz. amarillo 5 min.
approx. 1 oz. chinook leaf at flame out
Safale us-05 yeast
I am looking for a middle of the road hoppy beer with good hop flavor and aroma, not so much bitterness. I calculated this at 47 IBU.

Your thoughts, not set in stone yet.

Forgot to mention if this matters, I do full boils.

I would use Chinook hops for bitterness and Cascade for flavor and aroma, so I would switch them around. I also prefer crystal (40 or 60, no matter) in my APA, actually I use both crystal and munich malts in mine.

I would use Chinook hops for bitterness and Cascade for flavor and aroma, so I would switch them around. I also prefer crystal (40 or 60, no matter) in my APA, actually I use both crystal and munich malts in mine.

scooby, these are home grown chinook hops though. The AA will be lower than store bought though. Or do you think the 2 full oz. for bitering would be good or over kill.

+1 regardless of the AA% on the CHinooks, Cascades and Amarillos will be tastier, I would definitely use the chinooks for bittering and the others for flavor and aroma.

Otherwise, I think your recipe will do well.

Id use 2 oz of chinook(Since its whole leaf),add the cascade 15 min into the boil

They are fresh/green home grown Chinook? Or dried?

If they are fresh, I have to disagree with others, use them like you had originally planned. It would be huge shame to boil off all that fresh hop aroma and Chinook has a great aroma and flavor.

They are fresh/green home grown Chinook? Or dried?

If they are fresh, I have to disagree with others, use them like you had originally planned. It would be huge shame to boil off all that fresh hop aroma and Chinook has a great aroma and flavor.

they are dried and in the fridge, but today I took them out and there were same insects in the bag. They were in the hops of course, I am thinking of not using them at all now.

Your thoughts?

Back