racking help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutcase

Reaction score
Everytime I rack - about a half inch or so from the racking inlet on my autosiphon I start getting lots of bubbles then it stops- even though the racking inlet is still well under liquid (about 1/2 inch under). so i end up losing about a gallon of beer because I can't get it to rack the rest up. what am I doing wrong?

racking from kettle, or into bottling bucket?

from kettle, simply before you cool it, stir it in a circular motion and all of the trub will be in the middle and you won't get any trub.

from fermenter to bottling bucket you will always lose some beer, but a gallon is an awful lot.

i would put it more than 1/2 inch under water, make sure there are no hole and the hose is attached to the racking cane securly.

yeah from fermenter to secondary or keg/bottle bucket. I have it as far under as it will go - it seems like a lot of extra beer being left. maybe thats just the way the racking canes work? I'm kind of bummed cause i think this beer (edworts Stone IPA clone) turned out really freakin awesome and i only got about 4 gallons of it.

Its not a matter of the trub- I lost at least 2/3rd or more of a gallon that was on top of the trub that I couldnt pick up.

You might try delicately tilting the fermentation bucket to one side while trying not to disturb the yeast cake.
I have personally made the decision not to over-worry about getting an absolutely clean rack. I do my best but I am not willing to sacrifice good beer to accomplish that.

Tilt the vessle you are racking from. It might be nice to have a friend help the first time you do this because there are a lot of thinks that you have to watch. And DO NOT TILT the container until you get within an inch or so of the inlet otherwise you are asking for a spill.

I didnt even think about tilting but it seems so obvious now. thanks!

Back