Beer tasted fine when I bottled, but bad after 1 week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jose

Reaction score
I apologize if this is another "did I mess up my brew" thread. Admittedly, this is my first brew. I brewed a wheat beer from an extract kit. (1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 1.041 OG, 1.010 FG).

It tasted like beer when I bottled it (without carbonation of course). One week later, there is very minimal to no carbonation and the beer tastes disgusting. I can't pin exactly what the taste is, but one of my roommates thinks it may be yeast (which probably isn't such a bad thing at this point).

I'm just concerned that the beer tastes worse after 1 week of bottling than before. Reassurances would be appreciated ;)

They say that "time heals all wounds" and that seems to be a very reoccurring theme here at HBT.... let it sit for a few more weeks...... let the temptation to keep drinking it go.... it will get better.....

The only real reason I can think of for it getting worse is that maybe you picked up a bacterial infection while bottling... though it's more likely that the slight carbonation that is occurring in the bottle is just beginning to change the flavor a wee bit and the yeast is currently doing it's job in the bottle...... the longer it sets the more yeast will settle out and as they settle they'll take the badness with them!

They say that "time heals all wounds" and that seems to be a very reoccurring theme here at HBT.... let it sit for a few more weeks...... let the temptation to keep drinking it go.... it will get better.....

The only real reason I can think of for it getting worse is that maybe you picked up a bacterial infection while bottling... though it's more likely that the slight carbonation that is occurring in the bottle is just beginning to change the flavor a wee bit and the yeast is currently doing it's job in the bottle...... the longer it sets the more yeast will settle out and as they settle they'll take the badness with them!

+1 on the yeasties doing there job. It will be fine!

the longer it sets the more yeast will settle out and as they settle they'll take the badness with them!

This seems to make sense, as there was no settled yeast in the bottom of the bottle.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Back