Sanitizing Tea Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 108580

Reaction score
Anybody have any luck with this?

I want to secondary a pale ale with some green tea. I'm afraid the boil temps and primary fermentation will get rid if a lot of what I want out of the tea so I'd like to secondary.

My first idea was to bake them at 180 in the oven for an hour to "pasteurize" them.

My second idea was a soak in vodka, but wasn't sure if this would affect flavor in anyway or damage the tea leaves.

My last idea was to just say f*** it, toss em in and hope for no infection.

I'd use loose leaf tea. You could put in in a sanitized bag (like muslin hop bag) or use any kind of stainless loose leaf tea strainer (which can be sanitized before use).

Another idea is to make a strong pot of tea and blend in secondary or at bottling.

Anybody have any luck with this?

I want to secondary a pale ale with some green tea. I'm afraid the boil temps and primary fermentation will get rid if a lot of what I want out of the tea so I'd like to secondary.

My first idea was to bake them at 180 in the oven for an hour to "pasteurize" them.

My second idea was a soak in vodka, but wasn't sure if this would affect flavor in anyway or damage the tea leaves.

My last idea was to just say f*** it, toss em in and hope for no infection.

In the oven at 225F for 15 minutes I'd guess.

MC

I soaked some peppermint tea bags in vodka for a few hours for my Chocolate Peppermint Stout and I had no problems with infections. However, using the vodka method in a stout may be a little more forgiving than in another type of brew. The harsher flavors in a stout could cover up the vodka taste I'm not sure it is the only time I have done it good luck!!

Steep it in ~150 degree F water for a couple minutes. That's all it takes - pasteurization is quick and easy. This should kill everything that can grow in beer, without losing too many aromatics from the tea. Then dump in the water with the tea.

timetempchart.jpg

Steep it in ~150 degree F water for a couple minutes. That's all it takes - pasteurization is quick and easy. This should kill everything that can grow in beer, without losing too many aromatics from the tea. Then dump in the water with the tea.

Awesome chart! I think ill try this method.

I'd use loose leaf tea. You could put in in a sanitized bag (like muslin hop bag) or use any kind of stainless loose leaf tea strainer (which can be sanitized before use).

Another idea is to make a strong pot of tea and blend in secondary or at bottling.

I second making a tea and blending it in secondary.

Back