Do some brewers confuse Vienna and Victory malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been searching for a session style stout beer (more on the chocolate side than coffee, still have not found one if anyone has a suggestion) and I found this site called Brew 365 which has lots of clone recipes and other recipes that may really focus on a few specialty ingredients.

For several of the recipes I look through the author typed Victory malt when I think he may have meant Vienna malt. From what I know Victory is a malt used in 1/2 -1 lb amounts for brown ales, porters and darker beers. Vienna is a base malt darker than pale malt but not as dark as Munich.

Are there any 5-6 gallon receipes that would call for 2 lbs of Victory malt that are not higher OG beers or brown/porter ales?

Glacier Hops & Glacier Pale Ale Recipe::: Brew365

The Great American Wheat Experiment - v1.0 - Brew365.com

In the second recipe posted the author states using Vienna malt in the paragraphs prior to the recipe but then has 2 lbs of Victory for a 6 gallon wheat recipe. I emailed him to see if this might be a common mistake in some of his recipes prior to me brewing them. I have not created many recipes on my own so I may be wrong about this possible typing error.

(Again, if you have a session style stout all grain recipe I would love to see it.)

Oatmeal stouts are quaffers without much bitter or coffee... usually on the sweeter side. I've brewed the "Damned Kids Oatmeal Stout" in the recipe section, and it was good (made it 2wice, actually, and my bro did it too).

Victory is the same as biscuit malt which, i guess, has that flavor. All sorts of english / scottish/scotch ales would benefit from it. You could probably hide a ton of it in a wee heavy.

I lurv victory malt. Definitely very different from Vienna. Two pound of it would be out of place in a wheat beer IMO. It kind of imparts a rich biscuit flavor that wouldn't match with a citrusy wheat.

Here is a totally thrown together session stout idea, it would probably need some malto or maybe some oats to get the right mouth feel. The 6-Row is to get a little more diastic power in there to convert the victory. 5 gal batch

4.0% ABV
39 SRM
17 IBU
1.042 OG
1.011 FG

Rahr - 6 Row Malt 5.000 lb
Victory Malt 2.000 lb
Special B Malt 1.000 lb
Chocolate Malt (US) 8.000 oz
Roasted Barley 4.000 oz

0.5oz Bullion (7.75%AA) 60min
0.5oz Bullion (7.75%AA) 5min

Wyeast American Ale II

i use victory in a lot of recipes, light and dark colored. usually in smaller amounts, like 1/2 pound or so. i use victory in many american pales, browns, english bitters, it's a pretty nice all around specialty malt. adds a nice bready/bread crust flavor.

Victory is a registered trademark from Briess, it is the Briess version of a toasted or biscuit type malt. See:
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_VictoryMalt.pdf
Not to be confused with Vienna Malt which made by many malting companies and is a base malt that is kilned at higher temperatures. They may have similar flavor and uses but I would not say they interchangeable.

I lurv victory malt. Definitely very different from Vienna. Two pound of it would be out of place in a wheat beer IMO. It kind of imparts a rich biscuit flavor that wouldn't match with a citrusy wheat.

Here is a totally thrown together session stout idea, it would probably need some malto or maybe some oats to get the right mouth feel. The 6-Row is to get a little more diastic power in there to convert the victory. 5 gal batch

4.0% ABV
39 SRM
17 IBU
1.042 OG
1.011 FG

Rahr - 6 Row Malt 5.000 lb
Victory Malt 2.000 lb
Special B Malt 1.000 lb
Chocolate Malt (US) 8.000 oz
Roasted Barley 4.000 oz

0.5oz Bullion (7.75%AA) 60min
0.5oz Bullion (7.75%AA) 5min

Wyeast American Ale II

Don't have any Bullion hops. Could I substitute Northern Brewer? I also don't have Wyeast American Ale II either. Could I use Notty? Th closest complete HBS is Beer Crazy which is over 100 miles away so much of what I have I have to order online. I have all of the malts in stock.

Yeah you could substitute whatever hops and yeast you like. I've never brewed that myself, I just threw it together because I like making recipes :). If you do make it let me know what changes you made and how it turns out, but yeah as now it is totally untested.

I don't think I've ever seen Bullion at Beer Crazy anyhow, I get mine from Rebel Brewer, it is definitely my favorite stout hop, but it's too distinctive for much else IMO. Beer Crazy has a lot of cool stuff, but I rarely see unusual hops, like the New Zealand or Asian varieties, and Bullion is grown in such small quantities these days it falls in that "unusual" category I guess.

Back