Ultra dry porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wing Nut

Reaction score
Hey all I brewed my first all grain batch on my new HERMS rig I used the wurzels coconut porter recipe. The brew day went pear shaped when I had a problem with the false bottom I used, It collapsed and I was unable to reticulate wort. This made bumping up the temperature very difficult. All said and done it was at 125 for nearly 40 min before I could get it up too 158. So I had too scoop out the mash into my old cooler lauter tun and finish it that way. The OG was a little high at 1.060 It fermented really quick, the krausen dropped overnight and by the third day the hydrometer was down to 1.011. So I racked it to the secondary and added the toasted coconut.

As always I tasted the mid steam flow and was surprised by the complete lack of body it was very thin. I suppose the toasted coconut will bring in a little more body but I would like a little more silky mouth feel. I was thinking of mashing out a couple pounds of oatmeal to add some unfermentables. What do you all think?

Back