Might not be getting plants in the ground this year.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
Totally missed my window for here in Texas. Should I freeze the rhizomes? Will they survive a year of dormancy?

Totally missed my window for here in Texas. Should I freeze the rhizomes? Will they survive a year of dormancy?

I'd go on and plant them. While it's a wee bit late for your zone, you'll still be alright. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they get plenty of water. Since they'll be getting planted a bit late, they won't have developed the root system needed to survive a hot Texas summer without you helping them out with plenty of extra water.

I don't think they'd survive a year in the freezer.

They won't thrive this year for sure, but helping them limp along in the garden until next year will be better than losing them completely.

I'd go on and plant them. While it's a wee bit late for your zone, you'll still be alright. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they get plenty of water. Since they'll be getting planted a bit late, they won't have developed the root system needed to survive a hot Texas summer without you helping them out with plenty of extra water.

I don't think they'd survive a year in the freezer.

They won't thrive this year for sure, but helping them limp along in the garden until next year will be better than losing them completely.

Sorry I didn't mention - that's part of the problem - Im going away for a honeymoon, and while we have someone watching the house, watering, etc - watching this and ensuring health is asking a lot....

So sounds like they might die - that kind of sucks :(

Stick them in the ground.

Rig up a slow watering system with a 55 gallon container and either a wicking rag or a small hole in the bung.

Just stick them in the ground or a bucket with drainage holes. Assume first years will not produce and you are doing foundation work for next year- your first production year. Get them in the ground forget about them next year start to wonder what dis I get myself in to.

Or you could use a soaker hose on a timer. That's how my garden survived my vacation last July.

Back