Bugs in the barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidkid267

Reaction score
While brewing an AG porter this Sat. I mashed in all my grain and then added half a 1lb bag of flaked barley. After stirring up the mash I noticed that the half that was not in the barley had a bunch of small bugs in it!!! No biggie I guess I just relaxed didn't worry etc, etc. I figure the bugs would boil right off. I did come up a bit high on my OG, maybe the extra sugars/protiens from the bugs made it high:drunk:

I figure the bugs would boil right off.

bugs IMO are no soluble in water and wouldn't "boil right off". but the boil would kill them very nicely. personally i would of stopped dead in my brewing tracks when i noticed the bugs and dumped the batch. don't want to be drinking bugs, bug eggs, and bug crap.

bugs IMO are no soluble in water and wouldn't "boil right off". but the boil would kill them very nicely. personally i would of stopped dead in my brewing tracks when i noticed the bugs and dumped the batch. don't want to be drinking bugs, bug eggs, and bug crap.

Ha. Then you'd bvetter stick to straight water. No, wait. There is even an acceptable level of "Organic contamination" in that too.

Ahh well. Yer screwed.

Buygs in grain and hops is a given whether you see them or not.

Ah...The brew is cleverly (if I don't say so myself) named, "Pestilence Porter" maybe because my OG was high, "Imperial Pestilence Porter"?

Ha. Then you'd bvetter stick to straight water. No, wait. There is even an acceptable level of "Organic contamination" in that too.

Ahh well. Yer screwed.

Ok, this line of conversation needs to stop or I'll never eat or drink anything again. :cross:

yea there are bugs and bug bits in just about everything we eat. but if i don't see them then they are not there. its a psychological thing.

I once read that the FDA approved amount of rat feces per loaf of bread was three pieces. Don't worry have a Vienna Sausage and a homebrew.

Ok, this line of conversation needs to stop or I'll never eat or drink anything again. :cross:

Don't sweat it brother. It's Brayne Fuud.

Funny how we are of but a few societies that do not embrace insect as a food source. Paging Mr Zimmern. Mr Andrew Zimmern to the courtesy phone please.

You're right Gila. The first time I was in Thailand, 1994ish, we were in a bar and this lady came around with a huge basket of what looked like giant cockroaches. All the ladies working in the bar went crazy and they were like 10 for a 1$ or Bhat. so we bought them $10 worth and watched in amazement as they happily chowed down.

mmm weevils! I had an old truck once that had pockets hanging off the seats. I used to use a drive thru that gave me a doggy biscuit every time they saw my passenger (Dog, not the wife) After a few months I had a pocket alive with weevils. After a while longer I had a pocket full of dead weevils. A few months later I sold the truck to an idiot.

I also remember that my grandmother sifted all the flour before making bread. She said it was to get the weevils out, and she often dumped the weevils in the trash. If I was slow to carry out the trash they were crawling out the top as I carried it out the door.

Back