Spent Grain Bread Machine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also made this the other day, and I thought it was delicious as written! This will become a new brew-day tradition... thanks for posting the recipe! :mug:

Made this recipe again after brewing a small batch of cranberry wheat. The bread tastes great, but it rose too much and the top of the loaf caved in just like our last loaf. We're left with about a half of a loaf.

I read that too much moisture can cause this so I started with one eighth cup flour more than the recipe calls for, and then added almost another quarter cup when I saw that the dough was too wet and sticky.

Has anyone else encountered this with this recipe and have you come up with any consistent measurements to prevent this?

I have had that happen too. I think each bread machine is a bit different. I just keep tweeking until it works.

I'm not that experienced with bread making, but I was wondering if the increased flour would lead to an increase in the rise.

Has anyone experimented with drying their grains before baking with them?

Made another loaf of this recipe tonight with grains that had been in the fridge since Saturday's brew session. I initially used only a cup of water and added between 1/8 and 1/4 more wheat flour, but after it started mixing it was pretty clear that I needed that 1/8 cup water. I also backed off on the yeast a by about 1/4 tsp. The loaf stopped about an inch from the lid so I was happy about that. It still caved in a little but not near as much as my first two loaves.

The bread is a little denser than my first two attempts but still tastes great. I'm thinking we may try some cinnamon and craisins in the next batch.

I used a couple of different recipes to piece this together and it came out quite good.

ForumRunner_20121104_222003.jpg

Cranberry Walnut Spent Grain Bread

1 cup water
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbs butter, softened
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup wet spent grain

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Add first nine ingredients to bread machine pan in order listed. I used the large loaf with medium crust setting. I had to add a little flour to get the dough consistency right...less than a tablespoon.

Add cranberries and walnuts before the final kneading. My machine gives an audible signal when it is time to add fruit and nuts.

Enjoy!

Misplaced_Canuck said:
I'll add a recipe. I used the spent grain from my rather-dark stout.

1 cup of water
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 cup of spent grain
3 cups of bread flour
2 tsp of regular bread yeast.

2 lbs load setting, medium crust, french-bread style.

This turned out very good, the bread got a LOT of color from the dark stout grains.

My next experiment, I'm going to use beer instead of water while still keeping the bread yeast.

M_C

I tried your recipe while brewing Brooklyn Brew Shop's Apple Crisp Ale. It's really good...nice crispy crust on the French bread setting. Thanks for posting!

After brewing a batch of Caramel Amber Ale about two weeks ago, I took some of the spent grains and put them in our dehydrator. After about three hours, they were well-dried, so I put them in a sealed glass jar for storage.

Yesterday, I had the bread machine churn out a loaf of this very bread. My wife and I tasted it this morning, and it was simply yummy! The wheat flour and spent grains definitely give it some substance and good texture. This recipe WILL be baked again..perhaps with some other spent grains.

glenn514:mug:

Question, I didn't see it so not sure if it's been covered. I have half a packet of Windsor yeast that came with my NB 1 gallon WH honey ale kit. It says to either toss it or use it to make bread. So I was thinking why not use the spent steeping grains and the rest of the yeast to make bread. But is there a ratio between bread yeast and brewing yeast to use? Would half a packet of Windsor be enough to make bread?

ETA: Update
Well I made the recipe that is on the top of page 4 only used 1 cup of beer instead of water and then just used 2 tsp of the Windsor yeast...it looks like bread in the macine and the house smells AMAZING! It should be done in about half hour so I will post back tonight with the results when it cools

2013-02-26_16-36-44_839_zps3ed1cc05.jpg

ETA...Again: Turned out excellent!

2013-02-26_20-21-55_473_zpscedca8ff.jpg

Made this bread yesterday while the grains were still warm. Used milk instead of water and milk powder and it is amazing. Thanks for the recipe!

I'll add a recipe. I used the spent grain from my rather-dark stout.

1 cup of water
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 cup of spent grain
3 cups of bread flour

This turned out very good, the bread got a LOT of color from the dark stout grains.

My next experiment, I'm going to use beer instead of water while still keeping the bread yeast.

M_C

Gotta give props to this guy's recipe. I made it tonight with the spent specialty grains from a Belgian Caramel Wit. Absolutely incredible. The best bread I've ever made at home. Tweaked it a bit below.

Recipe:
1.5 cups of milk
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 cups of spent grain
3 cups of bread flour

The french bread style and medium crust settings are key. The bread had a great crunch and break to it without sacrificing the softness and moistness of the bread (hint why I used only milk and no water).

Just imagine if you went all out and used malt instead! Mind boggling!

I freeze 2 cups of spent grain in zip lock bags. I thaw a bag overnight or more...
My recipe.
1/2 cup coconut milk. Warmed barely in microwave.
3 Tbls olive oil
1/4 cup honey
2 cups spent grain
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoon bread yeast
1 Tbls gluten

Light bread setting and make sure you have some butter ready.
Cheers

I'm not that experienced with bread making, but I was wondering if the increased flour would lead to an increase in the rise.

Has anyone experimented with drying their grains before baking with them?

I did watch the video (above) by aekdbbop who puts the cup of grain on a sheet in the toaster oven for 30 minutes to dry it out a good bit.

Another question - has anyone ever put the grain in a blender with some of the water and pulverized it to a much finer consistency before adding to the bread machine?

Back