Witbier OhioBrewtus' Hoegaarden Clone - (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going to brew this this weekend. I have cultured hoegaarden yeast in the fridge and am going to replace the adjuncts with a half or so jar of marmalade. I did it once on a saison and it worked great. Thanks for the recipe. Results in 6 weeks or so.

How much of a challenge was it to culture from Hoegarden dregs?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How much of a challenge was it to culture from Hoegarden dregs?

I actually cultured it from a single bottle of Avery White Rascal. They list recipes to a bunch of their brews here http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes-for-homebrewers/ and use hoegaarden yeast. I planned on doing a simple wit and because I like white rascal and had the recipe from the source I was going to brew it but never did. I love culturing from bottles. It is so easy and where I get pretty much all of my yeast.

My brother asked if I could make something like a Hoegaarden, and lo and behold here is a good one - subscribed!

Hey guys, this is the second beer I'm going to brew (I <3 hoegaarden) and I just have a question about the double batch sparge and the draw off. I guess you mix the original water from the mashing with the sparges. Do you let it sit for a while or do you draw the 6.25 gallons off inmediately? aren't you taking away some sugars doing this?

Pedro,
This video is extremely helpful if you are going for the batch Sparging brew technique.
http://youtu.be/JMHLqnWCNjE
What is your fermentation control and yeast pitching plans? The fermentation is what makes this beer amazing with that Belgian witbier yeast.

Anderhoff.blogspot.com

Thanks a lot drawdy10, I now understand how it should be done. I'm sorry but I don't know what to answer to your question, I guess it's because I don't have any. I was going to place the fermentor in the coolest room I can find.

About the yeast, I couldn't find the WLP400 or the Wyeast alternative one, so I got Wyeast Forbidden Fruit and Safbrew WB-06. Since I'm a new with this I wanted to see by myself the difference yeast makes to the beer and I was planning on brewing 10 liters in total (5 liters for each yeast).

What do you think? I'd like to know your opinion

Wb 06 is a decent wit yeast but brewferm Blanche might be a better choice to experiment with for a wit of this style.

Is there an extract version of this? Maybe 5-6#s of bavarian wheat LME and steep some the belgian pilsner?

Just brewed this two weeks ago but with Wyeast 3944, OG 1049.
Tried a sample yesterday - tastes amazing and so close to Hoegaarden.

Great recipe, one ill definitely hang on to

Brewed this 2 weeks ago, bottled yesterday, looking foward to trying it out!
OG: 1.053, FG, 1.011

Back