FG for my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
I have posted alot about the batch over the last month. This has definetly been the most problematic, but also the most educational batch yet.

My OG was 1.06, my FG is 1.02. Is that too high? It was in the primary for almost 2 weeks, and in the secondary for about 2 more weeks. I am bottling today.

Stouts tend to have high FG, 1020 isn't out of line. There are lots of unfermentables in the adjunts contributing to mouth feel and body. I always put champaign yeast in the keg or before bottling. It will dry the stout out a little and give it a great creamy head.

rhinostylee said:
I just bottled my Irish dry stout at 1.020 FG. It just wouldn't go any lower. Hope that helps!

I drink it and it doesn't make me drunk! I'm so pissed! There isn't enough alcohol in mine as it turns out. But it tastes good.

david_42 said:
Stouts tend to have high FG, 1020 isn't out of line. There are lots of unfermentables in the adjunts contributing to mouth feel and body. I always put champaign yeast in the keg or before bottling. It will dry the stout out a little and give it a great creamy head.

when you use a different yeast (champagne) for bottling, how much do you use? should you filter the beer prior to bottling, or does it work in parallel with the existing yeast from fermentation? I am asking because I have a stout in the primary right now, and I have heard that champagne yeast will give it the creamyness that you speak of. I won't be ready to bottle for a while, though, but I am planning anyway.

thx

I just add an entire package and don't worry about straining out the old yeasts.

thx
sounds good. I also asked this question in another thread that I think you posted in.

Do you make a starter, or just dump the yeast in?

From what I've read to determing what the expected final gravity should be you use this formula OG-1*.35.

So your OG. 1.060 - 1 = .060
.060*.35 = .021

Add one to that and you have 1.021 for your expected final gravity.

Plug that into an alcohol content calculator and you have 6.1%.

Sounds like you're doing O.K.

That probably works as a rough estimation, but to really zero in on what the predicted FG should be you need to take the attenuation of the yeast into account since it can vary from 65% to 85%:

FG = OG - Attenuation x (OG - 1)

Of course, it will depend on a lot of environmental conditions, as well, such as temperature, oxygenation, etc.

Back