15 hours and no airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
How long should I wait before taking a gravity sample? I've never had to wait this long. As previously mentioned, I pitched my yeast colder than I normally do (White Labs English Ale) at around 60 degrees. It went over night at around 64 degrees and has been at 66/67 for about 4 hours.

Read the thread about yeast taking up to 72 hours before showing signs of fermentation... Doesn't mean nothing's going on, or the yeast is dead, etc...

With White Labs yeast, I would ALWAYS make a starter to proof the yeast. No matter what the OG of the brew is. Unlike Wyeast's Activator pack, where you KNOW if the yeast is viable/alive in the package, you have zero assurance from White Labs... Either way, a starter will get the yeast's rocking and help to kick off active fermentation sign sooner...

Of course you could go the entire fermentation time without a single airlock movement. IF you don't have a completely air-tight seal on the fermenter, the CO2 can escape elsewhere, and not move through the airlock.

Damn, Revvy sniped before I could hit submit... :D

you have zero assurance from White Labs

Meh.. I let them warm up and always considered the "just cracked a beer" sound when opening them to be a sign of life, especially if it's accompanied by a foam over.

Meh.. I let them warm up and always considered the "just cracked a beer" sound when opening them to be a sign of life, especially if it's accompanied by a foam over.

Right, but the time you do that and nothing happens will you get a free replacement vial?? Most likely not. If I smack a Wyeast Activator pack, and nothing happens (giving it enough time), I can go back to the LHBS and get a replacement free of charge.

Not saying you'll ever have a bad via from White Labs, just saying that you can, and have no recourse other than buying more yeast. Plus, using a starter means if you only have 25% of the yeast still viable in the vial/package, you'll have many more once the starter finishes...

I actually plan to make a starter for a brew I'm making Tuesday evening. I'm using washed/harvested yeast. I'll make the starter later tonight, and put some of the harvested yeast into it (have more in the jar than I'll need for this brew, so I'm only using part of what's in the jar)... If I don't have good sign by a decent time on Monday, I'll just get a fresh package of yeast to brew with.

You know, when I transfer to secondary or to a bottling bucket, I just swirl the bottom of the primary a little and pour about 4 cups of the slurry into a sterilized quart mason jar and stick it in the fridge. The night before I brew I set it out on the counter to warm up and the next day I crack it open and pitch it right in the new wort. Not the most sanitary method on the planet but hey.. It saves me $7 and I've never once had any cross contamination or batches spoil because of it. I keep the standard stuff at the ready at all times, american and english ale, saison, hefe, belgian strong, lager and a few more staples taking up the entire middle shelf of the fridge. The wife LOVES that.

I try to separate out the trub from the yeast when I wash/harvest yeast... I have about 4oz of yeast in a jar right now that I'll use some of for my starter (probably 1/4-1/2 of it). That way, I still have enough yeast for one more batch from that generation. I was going to use all of it in a BIG brew, but that's been shelved for now.

Back