Dextrine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything in the search...I know this aids in head retention and such and can be used to balance body of darker beers. But if doing an extract recipe to you steep dextrine with your other specialty grains or do you add it late?

If it is dextrin malt, steep it with your specialty grains. If it is maltodextrin powder, add it in the last 5 min of the boil.

I add my malto dextrine powder at the beginning of the boil with my bittering hops for my dark beers, and about 15 min prior to the end of the boil for light colored beers. I have no idea why i do this, it comes from my early beer kit brewing days. That was what the directions for those different styles said in the instructions. Maybe one of the gurus on here knows why

I don't thinks its very fermentable, so not sure why it couldn't go in any time from beginning of boil to bottling. I know a guy that puts his in at bottling time, but he also adds it to his creatin....

Back