What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Chile we have plenty of "craft" brew which are just BMC like beers for people who wants to pay the price of a craft beer(I am not sure why, maybe they think it gives them status to drink something more expensive and exclusive) but with the characteristics of a standard industrial low quality beer.

Here the best example, the biggest "craft" brew of Chile.

cerveza-mestra-2010-1.jpg

etrain666 said:
Any double pilsner from any brewery. Not a style thats needs to be "doubled". And a big vote for Summer Shandy.

I second the pilsner. I had the Mori Moto imperial pilsner at Rogue a while back, and it was just not good. Something that shouldn't be imperial or doubled, indeed. Also, can't say I've tried any Shandys as lemonade and beer together kinda scares me.

Sleeping Lady Brewery in Anchorage has some decent beers but "Fish-On! IPA" is horrendous!
(Description from the Brewery)
Fish On – I.P.A.
The Pacific Northwest is home to a particular style of IPA that is lighter in color, crisper, and much hoppier than IPAs in other parts of the country. Northwest style IPAs have a very dry finish and must have an intense hop aroma and bitterness. Fish On! gets it's signature flavors from two new high-alpha acid hop varieties, which lend a very intense yet drinkable bitterness and flavor.

Tasted like hose water and freshly cut wild weeds. There was nothing pleasant about this one.

While not a horrible beer, I have to say that Sam Adam's Cinder Bock is definitely one of the more interesting beers I've tried. Didn't hate it, but I doubt I would buy it again.

I'm surprised no oyster stouts have popped up. Maybe people are smart enough not to try them?

I'll add one that's far and away my #2 most awful and that's 3Floyd's Brian Baroo. The bottle I got tasted of armpits and I will not try it again.

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut. Worst. Beer. Ever. Tasted like a burnt firework dipped into maple syrup.

You were supposed to be too embarrassed to admit you bought it to complain about it!!! Because of the packaging!!!

From what I heard, the beer was an 'accident', or 'experiment' if you prefer. They had buckets of it and were considering dumpage. But then, a brilliant marketing wizard remembered a most evil scheme exploiting shame and ignorance. Hence Voodoo Doughnut.

kylevester said:
I'm surprised no oyster stouts have popped up. Maybe people are smart enough not to try them?

I'll add one that's far and away my #2 most awful and that's 3Floyd's Brian Baroo. The bottle I got tasted of armpits and I will not try it again.

The only oyster stout I have had was excellent.

bring on the hate... i don't like maudite. it just feels like a hot mess to me. i am a big fan of almost all other unibroue stuff but i gave maudite multiple second chances and it always just ended up being unbalanced and gross.

trafalgar crapt brewery is my most hated microbrewery and i love to spread the bad word about them. they are somehow in bed with the government run booze organization in canada and have always had their absurdly bad products bought up using taxpayers money. at best their stuff tastes thin, poorly made and full of off flavours, at worst (which is often) the product is infected or filled with gross trub. http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/trafalgar-brewing/1976/

they wish they were wacky and inventive american microbrewers with talent so they make a new beer every month without ever bothering to correct or perfect anything. so typical and aggravating

Taking many Craft "Specialty Brews" out of their context can make them unappealing but doesn't truly make them horrid brews. I have brewed some beers that I wasn't a big fan of, but have friends who consider it their "favorite" and are always asking when I will brew it again. ;) Beer can be so personal, it's this fact along with the creativity of brewing which has drawn me in to it.

watomlinson said:
i'm not a wheat beer fan in general, but by far the worst beer i've ever had has to be 21st amendments "Hell or High-Watermelon". i even tried it on more than one occasion bc i've liked all the other beers i've tried by them, and every time it was just down right gross.

but, with that said, their "back in black" black IPA is quite delicious.

I agree the hell or high-watermelon tastes like rotten melon rind, not only the worst craft beer I've had but the worst beer in general. That said I also thought back in black kind of sucked and have decided to give up on 21st amendment entirely.

The only oyster stout I have had was excellent.

Agreed. I had one at the Lobster Trap in Asheville and thought it was excellent. The idea of putting oysters into the boil made me want to vomit, but the calcium the oyster shells gave it an unique mouth feel and had no seafood flavors.

I seem to be detecting a trend here. Are there any NC brewers who have had GOOD experiences with Roth brewing? Just wondering...

It's very disappointing as all the Raleigh and North Carolina beers I have tried have been okay to excellent with the exception of Roth which is terrible. A professional brewery is supposed to have some standards when it comes to quality - their beer tastes like the first homebrews I made that had significant flaws, mostly due to poor yeast handling, fermentation temperatures, and sanitation. A lot of those flaws are easily correctable by following basic procedures.

I used to think the worst brewery in Raleigh was Boylan Bridge Brew Pub because every style of their beer tasted the same. At least you could drink those and they have a tremendous view of the downtown. The beer I had at Roth was easily the worst "craft" beer I've ever tried. I can understand one or two missing the mark, but every beer I tried was awful and full of off-flavors.

I was in Seattle earlier this year and picked up a six of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale. I had heard good things about it but for the life of me I couldn't finish more than a bottle and a half. I gave the other four away and dumped half of one. It gave me the most sickening feeling in my gut when I drank it. I hope it was a bad batch or old.

fredthecat said:
bring on the hate... i don't like maudite. it just feels like a hot mess to me. i am a big fan of almost all other unibroue stuff but i gave maudite multiple second chances and it always just ended up being unbalanced and gross.

trafalgar crapt brewery is my most hated microbrewery and i love to spread the bad word about them. they are somehow in bed with the government run booze organization in canada and have always had their absurdly bad products bought up using taxpayers money. at best their stuff tastes thin, poorly made and full of off flavours, at worst (which is often) the product is infected or filled with gross trub. http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/trafalgar-brewing/1976/

they wish they were wacky and inventive american microbrewers with talent so they make a new beer every month without ever bothering to correct or perfect anything. so typical and aggravating

Dude that's hilarious I've never seen such across the board terrible ratings for a brewery before. Man I'm glad I've never tried any of that stuff.

Laughing Dog Brewing's Dogzilla Black IPA. I have had a number of black IPAs that were good, but this was a miss. And it was a 22oz bottle too. I sucked it up and threw it down though, no sense in wasting a good beer. After all, if the first sip is bad, the 24th might be ok right?

allenH said:
I still have 4 of 6 IPA left from a month ago, grabbed one tonight and put it back.

Might as well just throw them down the sink. That is a better place for their beer.

allenH said:
I still have 4 of 6 IPA left from a month ago, grabbed one tonight and put it back.

I wonder if its the location you guys live in. I am 20 min from boston and i enjoy their ipa and ryepa even though its not really a ryepa

rs4life said:
I wonder if its the location you guys live in. I am 20 min from boston and i enjoy their ipa and ryepa even though its not really a ryepa

Could be, I did buy it at a major chain grocer. Their IPA, to me, just tastes pretty bland and a little grassy. I was struggling to pick up any malt at all, like dry hopping a bud light for a couple of months.

Firebat138 said:
Arrogant Bastard... I know... just dont like it

Definitely an acquired taste, like coffee, cigarettes or your first beer. Once you get it, you get it.

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. I don't even know how to adequately describe the fail. The only other time I've dumped a beer was Summer Shandy... I'm not sure which is / was worse.

xmacro said:
Sam Adams when they feature homebrew samplers; I can't stomach them - way too much alcohol, and not enough flavors to mask that overpowering pungent taste of alcohol

A the f*ck men! That imperial alt was disgusting... and not cheap. Good call.

The one terrible beer I remember trying a long time ago was from the Tabernash Brewery in Denver was their weiss. I remember it tasting like dumpster juice. Truly terrible.

It is a tough choice between any of the contract brewed beers such as the KBS you see in trader joes or these stupid beers you see that places like fresh and easy contract out to make beer just for their stores. They are all horrible but just trying to get in on all the "craft" hype but ultimately giving craft beer a bad name.

Exclusion is mission street which is brewed by Firestone Walker, if it is fresh, it is some good stuff.

I definitely agree on the voodoo maple bacon doughnut, that was awful.

Currently the Treason'Ale is horrible and I have 3 more in my fridge. I can drink it at least.

I do recall the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barleywine being horrible at the time.

Most recent thing I dumped out was Crispin Lansdowne artisanal cider. It is apple cider brewed with molasses and Irish stout yeast. It was dark brown and cloudier than almost any beer I have ever drank. Pretty much horrible and the worst cider I have tried and I hate Pear ciders. Drank some then just poured it out. The Saint from Crispin is awesome though.

Back