Help with a dirty monk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewinder02132

Reaction score
Hey there,
I had a crazy brew session making this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/dirty-monk-belgian-golden-strong-ale-80621/
I ended up using my 5 gallon MLT to try to make it and let's just say, the 10 gallon is on the way! My first problem is that my final gravity is 1.062 (missed the starting gravity). My second problem is that I've primed and bottled it b/c I'm heading off for vacation. There is ample evidence that fermentation occurred, but I can't figure out why the gravity is SO far off. Have I just created two cases of bottle bombs? I'm going to store them at ~60 F in my basement while I'm gone so they shouldn't ferment too crazy while I'm away, yet I'm a bit worried about them. Could/should I move them, gently, back into a fermentation bucket, warm, and pitch some more yeast to clean it up? My all-grain experiences have great until I encountered this nasty monk. *lol*

edit: I did some more reading of my notes when I brewed. I didn't have enough water during the dough in AND the temperature was at 165 F. I'm thinking I have 5 gallons of unfermentable sugars. UGH. I left the fermentation bucket alone for 18 days at about 70 F. The fermentation wasn't vigorous, but it was going during for the first week of that time. I'll have to try this recipe again with the new year.

My first problem is that my final gravity is 1.062 (missed the starting gravity).

I'm not following you. Are you saying you bottled at 1.062? Or that was your starting gravity?

My second problem is that I've primed and bottled it b/c I'm heading off for vacation. There is ample evidence that fermentation occurred, but I can't figure out why the gravity is SO far off.

I will say this... If you bottled at 1.062 you will have problems. Maybe not bottle bombs, but your final product will not be good beer.

If this is not a troll (probably not, but still . . .)then you are justly worried.

1.062 is wort not beer. That needs to fermented before you can bottle it for drinking. You say there is evidence of fermentation? What evidence? That is an acceptable starting gravity. How long did you mash? What yeast? The most unfermentable wort would still have an FG below 1.030 probably below 1.020.

Open the bottles pour back into the fermenter, pitch some viable yeast, and wait until it is done fermenting.

Did you try and adjust the mash temp when you realized it was 15 degrees too high? If you left it at 165 for 60 minutes then your hosed. Not knowing your SG then it's hard to say if you have bottle bombs or not, but one way or another that is not going to be a drinkable end product.

wow, please tell me that your FG was a typo. If thats your END product of fermentation, I HAVE to know what your OG was!! You could use that stuff on pancakes, but as a beer? I'm doubtful you will have bombs -more likely than not, just sugarwater and strange flavors. If they DID manage to start fermenting in the bottle, you might have lift-off, but Im betting you just won't have a very good end-result.
I'm with dontman, though. uncap, pour back into fermenter, and re-pitch. I've always been loath to dump a batch, but this has a very bad feeling.

Back