1st Bottle bomb - more to come?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
I have a thread asking about adding sugar pills to under-carbed bottles - please disregard this thread I won't be doing that.

I went to my conditioning room (spare bedroom) to put up two new bottled batches and found an empty 32oz in one of my crates. On further inspection the bottom of the bottle was stuck to the crate with shards of class all over the floor. I'm not 100% sure but I think the bottle burst - must have been a week or so a go because the porter is fully dried into the carpet.

I really think the problem is un-even distribution of sugar during my bottling process. This bottle was three weeks old tomorrow. I was originally concerned about this batch because earlier sampling had 3 under-carbed bottles. There is another 32oz that has some serious fizz going on in it.

My wife has been a pretty good sport about this new hobby but she isn't liking this new development much.

1) Should I move this batch to the garage? I can then slow/halt the fermentation.

2) Should I pop the tops and re-cap to release some pressure?

I don't mind drinking this batch flat if I have to. My main concern is more beer all over the room.

Chill as much as you can bag the rest.

More importantly, you really need to address the uneven mixing.

I make my priming solution, cool it, and put it into the bottom of the bottling bucket. Then I siphon on top of the this and once there is a couple inches of liquid I start moving the siphon hose around in the bucket, making sure to keep the tip under the beer. Keep doing this during the entire siphoning.

Back