How Long can Wort set before pitching Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
I brewed Sunday and my Wyeast smack pack did not expand. I even tried to add some wort after chilling and it still did nothing. After letting it set in a growler with an air lock overnight, still nothing. It was dead as dead can be!

It will be tonight before I can get back to the local HB store.

It is setting in a sanitized carboy, will it be OK♠ until I get some more yeast tonight?

If everything was sanitized it should not be an issue. sometimes batches take 2-3 days to take off where it is just sitting around doing not much of anything.

A: Get at least two packs of dry yeast. No, you don't need to pitch two - you need to put (at least) one in your fridge for the next time. Dry yeast, kept refrigerated, is darn-near immortal (ie, don't sweat the expiration on your backup package unless you are a major worry-wart, in which case $2.50 every 4 years or so is cheap insurance).

B: While long delays are not ideal, it should be fine if the sanitation was good.

Back