Another kegging 'don't' scratched off the list....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
I froze a keg last night :mad:

I've got the sanyo at what I thought was 35* so I can crash cool my SNPA and Kolsch for this weekends party. Well, I went to pull a pint of the SNPA last night (gotta clear the yeast right??) and NOTHING happend. I had dryhopped it with pellets by just throwing them in there and was worried about the poppet getting stuck. I unhooked it and opened the top to find beer slushy that started SPEWING everywhere.....SWMBO was not happy....

It went into the bathtub for maybe a couple hours to thaw out and degass.

So, there you have it folks.....don't freeze your kegs!! I knew it would happen eventually, now I'm just waiting on a stuck poppet or a leak or something.....

I did the same thing about a week ago. One of my hoses got stuck in the door of my sanyo, so the door didn't close all the way. When I went to pull a pint the next day I got a lot of foam because a lot of the co2 had come out of solution. I figured that I would fix it by cranking up the temperature controller to max. Well I forgot about it and the next day I ended up with two frozen kegs.

Yeah, it was mostly just slushy.......not completely frozen

The other keg was fine though :confused:

Back