Bottling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey guys I did do some searching around before I decided to post this. However, I decided to get some more insight into the matter of priming sugars for bottling. My buddy and I have always used the regular priming sugar you get from the local brewing store. For some reason I got it in my head that this was screwing up our brew. I got the idea because I would take weekly readings and taste samples throughout the process and our beer has tasted great. Once we do the priming sugar and bottling part, wait and age it for some time we have had a couple batches go bad in which is tastes nasty and even had a couple bombs! I am convinced we need to explore other bottling options such as molasses, maple syrups, or whatever else...We just did our very first All-Grain Stout, we want to know could be use a maple syrup or mollasses to bottle condition and what your guys thoughts were. I believe the measurments of mollasses is 1c. for 5 gallons? I am aware of the off tastes but wondering what our best bet could be. Thanks, Slainte!

Bottle conditioning can also bring out off flavors,or worse that weren't detectable till they age & settle out. The type of priming sugar wouldn't have much if anything to do with it. Short of under or over priming. Priming sugar should be weighed on a scale,not measured in cups. Cups are for liquid measure. How've you been priming,& what amounts for the style?

Well usually we just use the pack of corn priming sugar from the local brewing store...but would like to venture into other substitutes...would like to try a molasses or maple syrup in our stout...we do a small amount of toasted oak in our secondary for about a month and had great success with it...just wondering about a molasses or maple on top of that for priming...and what the conditioning time diffence would be...

unionrdr said:
Bottle conditioning can also bring out off flavors,or worse that weren't detectable till they age & settle out. The type of priming sugar wouldn't have much if anything to do with it. Short of under or over priming. Priming sugar should be weighed on a scale,not measured in cups. Cups are for liquid measure. How've you been priming,& what amounts for the style?

Do you have some advice about using a maple syrup for a stout? How much to use for 5gallons...and the process to use it? Thanks

I've never used syrups for priming. Just various dry sugars. Maybe check out the stickies at the top of the forim?

What about using only half the bag of priming sugar you get at the local brewing store. Seems like the last couple of beers we have made have been pretty carbonated...We had a stout that was excellent and got some pretty good reviews by people but could have been a little less carbonated. Has anyone decided to use just 1/2c of the 5oz. bag of the primer form the store instead of all 3/4c? Would this lower the carbonation?

Typically on most of my ales, I use 4 oz of priming sugar from my LHBS. They sell it in 5 oz bags.

Hopefully you have a precision scales for weighing small items; i.e. hops, DME (for starters), priming sugar, etc.

Does anyone else use only a certain amount of the 5oz. bag of priming sugar instead of using it all? Just curious cause we have an IPA going and its about 5.7-5.8ABV...I just don't want it too carbonated like some of our other beers have been in the past...thought I would try less sugar...

Back