Thick, Rich and Spicy BBQ Sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
I just put this together on the fly as I forgot to buy some Sweet Baby Rays for the pork shoulder I had going in the crockpot. This sauce turned out amazing so I figured Id share. This is pretty thick, kinda tangy and sweet at the same time and the heat sticks around in your mouth but isnt overwhelming.

1/2 C. Ketchup
3/4 C. Cider Vinegar
1/4 C. Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Dark Chili Powder
2 Tbsp Mustard
2 Tbsp Worsterchshire Sauce
1 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Basil

Stir frequently to keep the sugar from burning to the bottom of the pan. Cook Till its reduced to a little less then half its original quantity. If you like it spicy, double the crushed red as this is kinda mild but with the amount of black pepper it helps it alot.

FOr the crockpot just throw it in with the fatty layer on the bottom of the pot. Add one cup of cider vinegar and fill the rest(covering the shoulder or butt) with water. Turn on high. Check every once in a while with two forks, when you can easily pull the meat into 2 halfs with the forks its good to go.
Pull it out of the water and let it rest till its cool enough to handle.
shred it and add whatever run you like, mix that around good to break up the fibers to a good pulled pork texture. Then add whatever sauce you like.
Its so Easy. This one was just a 3 pound roast so it took all of 4 hours or so.

A quick and tasty BBQ sauce would be to take a new bottle of Cookies sauce, remove about 1/3 of it, then refill with Franks or Louisiana hot sauce. Mix it all up and its delicious.

Back