Sliced Apples to secondary??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsbrothers

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried adding sliced apples to a secondary for a hard cider? what are some pros and cons of trying this. i think it would add some nice natural apple flavors back into the cider bring up the sugar level a bit. Let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks You

If you add the sliced apples into the secondary the yeast would start to eat up the sugars of the apples, unless you stabilize it or kill off the yeast with additives or heat pasteurizing. Ive toyed with adding some sliced apples to the bottles with priming sugar, then waiting for the bottles to carb then pasturize them. I just think it would look nice.

If you add the sliced apples into the secondary the yeast would start to eat up the sugars of the apples, unless you stabilize it or kill off the yeast with additives or heat pasteurizing. Ive toyed with adding some sliced apples to the bottles with priming sugar, then waiting for the bottles to carb then pasturize them. I just think it would look nice.[/QUOTE

So the residual yeast will eat the sugar in the apple boost the alch% right but will it round out the flavor ya think or would it just be like second round of primary fermentation? Also i have only been in primary for 3 days what if i add a few sliced apples to that for the next few days opr primary fermentaion what ya think will happen?

I'm not too sure but I think it mint boost the ABV by a miniscule Amt. It's might add a little flavor, especially if it is very thinly sliced because you are putting more apple in the mixture without diluting the other apple flavors, or the ABV. It would be a fun experiment to try by adding different types of apples the the mix. Maybe crab or something like that. Just to add a little something to the drink.

Back