Bottling bucket to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberjoey80

Reaction score
Hi all. I was going to buy my first corny keg today and of course..a question popped in to my tiny brain. Do you guys rack from your secondary fermentor to the bottling bucket then the keg? Or do you just go from secondary to the keg and put in priming sugar there? Also, can someone remind me the adjustment for priming sugar for kegging. I believe it is less but cannot remember (for 5 gal.). Thanks.:cross:

Just go straight from the fermenter to the keg. The less you rack, the less chance for aeration/oxidation and infection.

BeerSmith uses roughly 1/2 the amount of corn sugar for kegging vs bottling. I'd probably go with a correction factor closer to 2/3 or even 3/4.

I wouldn't bother with priming sugar at all. Just hook up the gas, adjust to the desired serving pressure and in just a few days you're ready to go.

Not much need for a bottling bucket if your not bottling.
Straight to the keg along with boil lme/dme/sugar/wort.

The one advantage of racking to an intermediatery is to make sure you done take any trub but I don't bother.
Every time you move it you lose a little beer, risk infection and oxidisation.

thanks everyone. Yeah I talked to my LHBS owner and i think i will forgo the priming sugar and just put a little pressure in the keg. I am so excited with all my new toys. Now all I have to do is get the tank filled with some CO2 and I'm off. Thanks again.

Back