One for the hop heads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
What is your favorite hops/hop combo? I know this has been brought up before, but what do you like, and more importantly, WHY? Its subjective and tastes change based on season, experience, age, style, etc.., but what is it about whatever type of hops that makes you go :ban:?

My favourite style is an APA and for me the best hops combo is:

Chinook @ 60 mins
Cascade @ 15 mins
Cascade & Amarillo @ 1m

Nice citrussy hit up front and then a nice smooth bitterness in the background :rockin:

Simcoe and amarillo together. It's like heaven. Except drinkable. That's my all-time favorite. It's a grapefruity/piney combo that is fresh and aromatic.

I like all of the C-hops, in any combination, also.

Another good combo is cascade and willamette. I don't use them together often, but when I do I, I remember why I love that combo.

Anything with Simcoe. I’m a big fan of Troeg’s Nugget Nectar. I loved the grapefruit-citrus quality. After finding the hops Troegs used and looking at clone hints/ideas here, I made a brew with Simcoe, Nugget, Palisades & Warrior. When I got the ingredients and opened up the Simcoe and smelled it, I was punched in the face with the strong grapefruit/pine aroma I was hoping for. I used the majority of the hops in late flavor/aroma additions and am very happy with the results.

+1 to Nugget Nectar! A neighbor's cousin brought me some from PA a couple of years ago. Wish I could get it here.

Cascade and Amarillo live in my freezer by the pound. Everything else by the ounce. They even get eaten raw...:D

+1 on Simcoe and Amarillo combo. Like peanut butter and jelly.

If I only had one hop to choose from, it would be Cascade.

I have had huge success with Amarillo and Cascade for the citrusy types. I have yet to try chinook, centennial, and simcoe but I am looking forward to it.

Huge bonus using Willamette with any cascade-ish hop - it enhances the flavour I find.

Also, for a massive hop flavor that is not citrusy, try Fuggles & Willamette - Oh my gawd that is GOOD.

Back