Clearing melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
I made a gallon each of bluberry and rasberry melomel in which i heated the fruit/honey to 170 for about 15 minutes. This is my first attempt at melomel, though ive done several meads with good results.

The melomels are not clearing at all, they are cloudy. I am assuming this is due to pectin from heating the fruit, so what are my options for cearing these post fermentation.

How long has it been aging? I was under the impression that with enough time everything would eventually drop out... is that incorrect?

How long has it been aging? I was under the impression that with enough time everything would eventually drop out... is that incorrect?

I think that because his fruit was heated to 170, that the pectin may be "set" and won't drop.

But I may be wrong.

You can test for pectin by adding methylated spirits, grain alcohol, or rubbing alcohol to a glass of the mead. If you have pectin, this will cause it to clump and strand.

If you have a pectin haze, you can treat with pectinase even now. However, given that alcohol and lower pH may impact the activity of the enzyme, I would typically use 2-3 times the recommended dose. These enzymes are proteins that will eventually precipitate out, so the larger dose will cause no problems.

Endeavor to persevere!
Medsen

Back