Kolsch yeast and a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this could be interesting...
I made up a typical Kolsch yesterday for the first time. I had a starter going before, and had a good amount of yeast because people suggested to ferment cold.

When I looked in on it this morning (~16 hours since pitching the starter), it was showing pretty decent signs of activity. Outside temps of the pail read 57 degrees. I thought it was getting close to the point that maybe a blow off tube may be needed.

After reading through and hearing that Wyeast can be a bit mean, I'm expecting that I'll be cleaning up a mess when I get home. Especially since I misjudged my water amounts and probably got close to 5.75G into the pail.

Oh well, should be interesting. I'm hoping this cold streak continues for a few weeks.

I put a Kolsch in Primary yesterday with a Wyeast 2565 2L starter. 10 hours later the airlock is literally whistling.

I made it last spring too, and my biggest regret afterwards was that I only did one batch before it warmed up too much to do it again. As soon as it's out of primary this time I'm doing it again immediately.

I just checked my notes from last year and it turns out I pitched at the same temp this time (a coincidence) and this one is now following almost exactly the same profile as it cools down. Last time the wort dropped to 61/62F by the third day and stayed there. I kegged it after 22 days and left it pretty much alone in the keezer (after an obligatory sampling). It fell clear on its own after about 4 weeks.

It came out great - an awesome summertime thirst quencher!

I bottled this brew today after taking hydro readings and this thing turned out great! The reading was 1.010, right on, and crystal clear , tasted fantastic! I can't wait to drink this in a few weeks. The high ferment temps did not harm the flavor as far as I can tell. Since I have had other brews with starters need the blow off tube. Not like this but still a issue. I will continue to go blow off tube for a few days before a air lock. I'll posts back when drinking.

Mine halted at 1.020 @ 57degrees btw. I moved it into 68+ and it finally finished at 1.014. The OG I believe was 1.058/1.060 so that's pretty good.

At each racking or gravity the winey smell of the yeast worried me. I cold crashed at 32 for like a week with gelatin and finally bottled. I was still quite concerned. Well the cold crashing did the trick. The yeast fell out soooooo much and into the bottles it smelled like a malty heavenly oktoberfest. I know with the cold crashing, and gelatin it's going to take FOREVER to carbonate, but I really think this one will turn out.

I used 2 mason jars in a 1250mL starter btw with ~300g DME.

Lesson learned - don't think your beer is going to smell like it does in the fermentation process.

My notes from last year's batch say it smelled a bit off near the end of fermentation, I even wrote it reminded me little of Wyeast 2112 Cali. Lager, which can smell funky while it does its magic. I never got my temp below 61F. But like yours it turned out great, with zero unpleasant notes in the aroma or flavor. I kegged and force carbonated, so I can't comment on my bottling experience with it.

The current batch is still bubbling away and has now dropped to 64F.

I'm wondering now if I should build a starter for my second batch (which will be back to back with this one), pitch onto the yeast cake directly, or maybe harvest and wash some of the yeast cake to pitch. Thoughts?

My notes from last year's batch say it smelled a bit off near the end of fermentation, I even wrote it reminded me little of Wyeast 2112 Cali. Lager, which can smell funky while it does its magic. I never got my temp below 61F. But like yours it turned out great, with zero unpleasant notes in the aroma or flavor. I kegged and force carbonated, so I can't comment on my bottling experience with it.

The current batch is still bubbling away and has now dropped to 64F.

I'm wondering now if I should build a starter for my second batch (which will be back to back with this one), pitch onto the yeast cake directly, or maybe harvest and wash some of the yeast cake to pitch. Thoughts?

My two cents would be to wash yeast and build a starter with that. I would avoid pitching on the yeast cake. "Normal" rates for Kolsch starter is about 1 liter based on 1.050 SG (roughly). See Mr. Malty for more info.

good luck!

Mine is cranking along at 61 now. I had it at 63 to get started and took a while to get visual confirmation even with a huge starter then I dropped it to 61.

My two cents would be to wash yeast and build a starter with that. I would avoid pitching on the yeast cake. "Normal" rates for Kolsch starter is about 1 liter based on 1.050 SG (roughly). See Mr. Malty for more info.

good luck!

I think you're right - I'll either wash or try my first frozen yeast-bank revival, but I won't put the new wort directly on the old cake.

I've been to the Mr Malty site before but haven't used the calculator. It's very interesting how much the stir plate changes things. Since I used a stir plate to build my 2l starter from a Propagator pack, it looks like I over-pitched. Last year I used a single Activator pack which the calculator says is a serious under-pitch.

I'll do a 1l starter for Batch #2 later this month while keeping everything else as close to the same as possible, and use the opportunity to see what differences I may find between the two. I'm committing myself, with all of you as witnesses, to doing some serious study of the matter this summer. :)

So it turned out I needed a blow off tube with this beer. Got home last night and even with the batch at 52-54 degrees, it popped the top last night. Got the tube rigged up last night, checked in this morning and the tube was filled, and a good 1/2 of sediment/yeast in the blow off tank.

Very curious yeast.

Last weekend I put my first batch of Kolsch into secondary, and harvested a big slug 'o yeast cake from the conical. It was 1.012 and I was hoping for 1.011 or 1.010 which was a bit disappointing but not really enough to pour it down the drain, you know? Anyway, a couple of hours later I noticed the transfer had roused the yeast and they were back at work. Just barely bubbling for a couple of days, but I'll be interested to see where it is when I keg it next week. It's been sitting around 61F the whole time in the basement.

I brewed the second of my two planned 2010 batches today, and it's getting some washed yeast cake from the first batch thanks to the Yeast Washing Wiki, Mr. Malty, and other helpful forum members!

I'm not going to do a d-rest on either batch, I skipped it last year and didn't notice any off-notes. Maybe I'll taste before kegging to be sure - would it be too late then?

I use kolsch yeast a lot....No need for a d-rest. Especially if you are fermenting at 61 like you said.

It's been a while, but long story short this came out really good. I left both batches longer than I'd wanted in secondary, but kegged, carbonated and tapped - they came out great!

Back