Coffee Stout Recipe Help (Extract/Partial Grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corneliusthunder

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'm trying to put together my first non-kit recipe for a winter time Coffee Stout. I've been messing around with the program "Beer Alchemy" and put together the following formula:

Fermentables:
US Dark Chocolate Malt 1/2 lb In Mash/Steeped
US Roasted Barley 1/4 lb In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 10L Malt 1/4 lb In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Golden Light Liquid Extract 8 lbs Start Of Boil

Hops:
US Chinook 2 oz 60 Min From End
US Cascade 1 oz 10 Min From End
US Cascade 1 oz 5 Min From End

Other Ingredients:
Coffee (any suggestions on what type/brand roast?) 4 oz

Yeast:
Muntons Ale Yeast (dry)

Expected OG: 1.063
Expected FG: 1.015
Expected ABV: 6.4%
Expected IBU: 74

Planning on steeping grain for 30min and boiling extract/hops for 60min.

All of this checks out OK on the program, but I figured I could use a double check. Thinking about adding coffee at secondary fermentation. How has this turned out for people who have tried it? How long would you recommend leaving the coffee in the carboy? I also read about sanitizing the grain with vodka. Does this seem necessary/a good idea?

You don't need to sanitize the grains. You're going to boild the liquid you get off the steeped grains, so that will kill anything that might be alive in there.

The 2 oz of cascades for flavor and aroma seems a little out of place for a stout. It's going to give a citrus/floral character to the beer which may or may not match up well with the roasty/coffee flavors.

But... it's YOUR recipe and you should do what YOU want.

As for the coffee, there are a lot of different ways people get coffee into a beer, and there is no "one" answer.

In my own coffee stout, I used fresh brewed espresso at bottling time. I mixed my priming sugar in with the espresso and put that into the bottling bucket, then racked the beer in.

Whoopsies.

What I meant by sanitize the grain was sanitize the coffee grounds. This is something I would really only need to worry about if I were to add them straight to the secondary fermentor. Any more suggestions for adding coffee flavor to your brew?

Also, I went for cascades because I'm a pretty big American Hop Head. Has anyone made any stouts with Cascades, and if so how did they turn out? What other types of aroma/flavor hops go well with stout?

Thanks

What other types of aroma/flavor hops go well with stout?

Thanks

In my opinion, none. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge hophead! But with a stout, you've got coffee and chocolate notes along with some roasted notes, and hops flavor just doesn't go with that. Maybe a really 'clean' hops flavor, or a spicy flavor wouldn't be too bad, but my preference is "none".

Its nice of you that you are sharing this to me.I really liked it.I tried it in my home everyone liked t.It was very tasty.

What I meant by sanitize the grain was sanitize the coffee grounds. This is something I would really only need to worry about if I were to add them straight to the secondary fermentor. Any more suggestions for adding coffee flavor to your brew?

Soaking the beans in vodka is (according to what I read from somebody else) gives you basically the same thing as if you were to go and buy "coffee essense". Coffe flavored alcohol, no beans left.

I supposed you could soak them and throw both the beans AND the liquid into the fermenter.
Also, I went for cascades because I'm a pretty big American Hop Head. Has anyone made any stouts with Cascades, and if so how did they turn out? What other types of aroma/flavor hops go well with stout?

Thanks

Cascades in a stout are fine. American stouts (according to Papazian) use Cascades for flavor/aroma. I was really questioning the AMOUNT of them you were using (2oz) more than use in general.

Back