Fruit Beer Succulent Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i was planning on giving it another day or so. I'm just gonna keep measuring the SG and see what i get, hoping for the best!

Yeah, I think either way you'll be fine. Did you use liquid yeast or dry? Starter or no starter?

liquid wyeast, the slap pack. im assuming thats with a starter (sorry noob to this haha)

if i repitch, should i do the same? or go with a different yeast of the same?

liquid wyeast, the slap pack. im assuming thats with a starter (sorry noob to this haha)

if i repitch, should i do the same? or go with a different yeast of the same?

We're all noobs at some point! No, that's not a starter. A starter consists of basically making a small amount of wort, and pitching your yeast to raise the number of viable yeast cells... There's a little more to it than that, but do a quick search and you'll find plenty of info! Depending on the "best by" date of your Wyeast pack, it make be a really slow start. If you have to repitch, I would probably go with a dry yeast like Safale S-05. Others have used it with this recipe with good results.

We're all noobs at some point! No, that's not a starter. A starter consists of basically making a small amount of wort, and pitching your yeast to raise the number of viable yeast cells... There's a little more to it than that, but do a quick search and you'll find plenty of info! Depending on the "best by" date of your Wyeast pack, it make be a really slow start. If you have to repitch, I would probably go with a dry yeast like Safale S-05. Others have used it with this recipe with good results.

Awesome thank you for that. I'll do the dry yeast if i have to repitch.

EDIT: If i do so, should i make a starter for it? Or just pitch it as is? First time using Dry yeast, i see mixed reviews haha

Awesome thank you for that. I'll do the dry yeast if i have to repitch.

EDIT: If i do so, should i make a starter for it? Or just pitch it as is? First time using Dry yeast, i see mixed reviews haha

I've always had good result pitching it straight from the packet. Some will say you should rehydrate it first, directions are on the packet, but many don't rehydrate first. You won't need a starter for dry yeast, as there is a greater yeast cell count in a packet of dry yeast vs. a vial/pack of liquid yeast. So, rehydrate or don't, either way you'll make beer! :) I'll be surprised if you don't wake up tomorrow to find active fermentation, let me know how it all turns out!

I've always had good result pitching it straight from the packet. Some will say you should rehydrate it first, directions are on the packet, but many don't rehydrate first. You won't need a starter for dry yeast, as there is a greater yeast cell count in a packet of dry yeast vs. a vial/pack of liquid yeast. So, rehydrate or don't, either way you'll make beer! :) I'll be surprised if you don't wake up tomorrow to find active fermentation, let me know how it all turns out!

haha you were right, i got home from work, checked it, nice layer of krausen on the top, and it looks like the OG dropped a bit. and i mean a very slight bit. Gonna let it hang out for a couple days before i even open it anymore, i'll watch for bubbling as well.

Think i safe to let it go the 7? or should i check in a couple days and see what the OG is say in a day or 2. Not sure the effects of me opening the lid everyday are gonna be, i just wanna make sure were fermenting, and make sure it goes well

Awesome! Any idea what the "best by" date was on the yeast you pitched? Yeah, opening the lid could potentially cause you some infection issues. I'd let it go for the 7 days, and check the SG. If it's dropped quite a bit, check it again in a day or so and see if it stays the same. If it does, you're good to go! If not, pitch some dry yeast. Even if you've got a stuck fermentation, you can pitch some dry yeast and you'll be fine.

Awesome! Any idea what the "best by" date was on the yeast you pitched? Yeah, opening the lid could potentially cause you some infection issues. I'd let it go for the 7 days, and check the SG. If it's dropped quite a bit, check it again in a day or so and see if it stays the same. If it does, you're good to go! If not, pitch some dry yeast. Even if you've got a stuck fermentation, you can pitch some dry yeast and you'll be fine.

I didnt get to check unfortunately. I'll open it up sunday, see what the SG is and go from there. if we got a drop, check monday and if all goes according to plan, rack onto the berries that night

Just dont get in a rush. Which is really hard to do with this beer. Primary for two weeks will hurt nothing! This should be a four week beer prior to bottling. Relax and let the yeast do their thing.

i just racked onto the strawberries after 10 days. OG was 1.020. compared to my first brew (belgain wheat) there was very very little krauzen, a lot more sediment though in the primary. I think im gonna leave it on the secondary for about a week, then rack onto tertiary for about another 10-14 days. Think this is a good idea? I'm a bit worried there wasnt much krauzen but a lot of sediment, but obviously i got fermentation if i dropped from about 1.055 to 1.020.

scrub0bk said:
i just racked onto the strawberries after 10 days. OG was 1.020. compared to my first brew (belgain wheat) there was very very little krauzen, a lot more sediment though in the primary. I think im gonna leave it on the secondary for about a week, then rack onto tertiary for about another 10-14 days. Think this is a good idea? I'm a bit worried there wasnt much krauzen but a lot of sediment, but obviously i got fermentation if i dropped from about 1.055 to 1.020.
if your fermentation is complete, there is nothing to worry. I wouldnt leave the beer on berries for 2 weeks but i honestly cant tell you why. I just wouldnt. 7-10 days tops. More time in terrtiary will not hurt anything. Cold crash it for a week or two and let it clear up. It will help.

if your fermentation is complete, there is nothing to worry. I wouldnt leave the beer on berries for 2 weeks but i honestly cant tell you why. I just wouldnt. 7-10 days tops. More time in terrtiary will not hurt anything. Cold crash it for a week or two and let it clear up. It will help.

Yeah thats my plan, about 7 days on berries then into territiary until fermentation is fully complete.

Fermentation should be complete before you rack onto berries. Secondary fermentation is a misnomer. Fermentation only occurs once, unless you add more fermentable sugar. In my experience, adding the berries does not cause another fermentation so the beer should be done when you rack. The terrtiary stage is only for clean up. Check your gravity and if it is unchanged for 3 days, fermentation is complete. Then rack o to berries.

Fermentation should be complete before you rack onto berries. Secondary fermentation is a misnomer. Fermentation only occurs once, unless you add more fermentable sugar. In my experience, adding the berries does not cause another fermentation so the beer should be done when you rack. The terrtiary stage is only for clean up. Check your gravity and if it is unchanged for 3 days, fermentation is complete. Then rack o to berries.

So you're saying that the natural sugars contained in all fruits are not fermentable, I do believe that you need to rethink that

jtd_419 said:
So you're saying that the natural sugars contained in all fruits are not fermentable, I do believe that you need to rethink that
no. Not saying that. Im saying the by the time fermentation is complete, the yeast are done. In my 4 years of brewing this beer, it has NEVER started fermentation again. Ever. Once the beer reaches FG, its done. The berries give it flavor, but will not kick start the yeast into dropping you FV even more.

no. Not saying that. Im saying the by the time fermentation is complete, the yeast are done. In my 4 years of brewing this beer, it has NEVER started fermentation again. Ever. Once the beer reaches FG, its done. The berries give it flavor, but will not kick start the yeast into dropping you FV even more.

That's why you do the 2 week primary, correct? I had one or 2 gushers in the first few batches which I think were from tossing in the strawberries too early when the yeast was still active.

Question: kegging my current batch. Tertiary then keg, or terriary in the keg?

SupervisingChildren said:
That's why you do the 2 week primary, correct? I had one or 2 gushers in the first few batches which I think were from tossing in the strawberries too early when the yeast was still active. Question: kegging my current batch. Tertiary then keg, or terriary in the keg?
yup! i did terrtiary in the keg in my last batch and i wasnt happy with it. It didnt clear and it didnt age right. I would terrtiary, then go the keg.

Here's a little label I made up for it!
Strawberry_blonde.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if this is enticing, or perplexing.

when you guys rack off the strawberries, do you squeeze or press the berries a bit to get the beer that is soaked in them out? i feel like he berries are going to take a lot of the beer out and wonder if doing that a bit is a good idea to get the most beer as possible

I'm going to be bottling this beer on Friday. I can't wait. Mine turned out a little darker than probably what was intended because I went off the page a little bit and used Organic Malt Extract. But it still had a reddish hue to it and seemed ok going into tertiary (still smelled and tasted like beer). I will post up some pictures soon.

I just racked off the berries into tertiary. Smelled amazing, took a quick sample and its quite tart, almost wine esque. I know most people mentioned the tartness, but that will start to fade once it sits around for a bit then gets bottled im assuming.

cant wait for it to finish

I was going to leave it on the berries for 2 weeks. But then I re-read this post and saw that it was only supposed to be on the berries for seven days. So I racked off the berries after seven days and onto gelatin in the tertiary for some clarity.

Can't wait for this beer. My company is throwing a holiday party and I plan to serve this beer up to them as my focus group on how it tastes and what I might change to make it better. :) good to have some guinea pigs.

Any Thoughts about doing this in the Mr. Beer keg? I know I would have to cut the batch down, and instead of topping off my keg at 2.5g would have to just do 2g to leave room for the strawberries.

Worried about the open fermentation instead of airlock in the tetriary

I just bottled last night. Very sweet smell of strawberries, had to taste a bit, had a very wine-esque taste to it.

Anyone else have similar before bottling? hoping that it just needs a bit of time to "beer-up" persay.

I just bottled last night. Very sweet smell of strawberries, had to taste a bit, had a very wine-esque taste to it.

Anyone else have similar before bottling? hoping that it just needs a bit of time to "beer-up" persay.

Yep, mine always has a pretty sweet smell to it. The strawberry flavor will mellow out over time. It hits its prime after about 5 weeks in the bottle, IMHO.

New brewer here so I apologize for the dumb question, while adding the hops during the boil are those @ times or are they remaining times? And is it a total of a 60 min boil? Thanks in advance

Update: did the base with extra dme, and did 4 lbs strawberries, 1lb pineapple, and 5 kiwis. Changed saaz to 1/2 oz galaxy. It was delicious in the keg, and was best right when I kicked it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I didn't sanitize them. I dumped them straight from the bag into the bucket. If you're worried, I suppose you could soak them in some star san, but I've never had an issue. No need to thaw them first.

Anyone try this using strawberry extract as opposed to the fruit directly? And any recommendations as to quantity and timing of its use if so?

I've never tried it. I've only ever tried one extract and it was grape. It was horrible! But, the strawberry could be different. I just prefer to use fruits instead of the extract. If you decide to use it, let us know how it turns out!

Anyone try this using strawberry extract as opposed to the fruit directly? And any recommendations as to quantity and timing of its use if so?

I've tried 2 different strawberry extracts and I've never been very pleased. A lot of other extracts are pretty good but strawberry almost always seems to have a distinct chemical taste that takes several extra months to age out.

So I'm sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. Will 8 lbs of frozen strawberries fit in a 6 gallon secondary carboy? I know most people are using buckets but I only have carboys available at the moment and I'm trying to keep costs down. Any input would be great! Thanks!

Good question, I'm not real sure. I THINK you'll be ok. I know that's not real encouraging, but its the best advise I've got.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Back