Reducing Acetaldehyde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the second time that I have quoted this book today.

According to Brew Chem 101 by Lee W. Janson acetaldehyde can be avoided by:
Using good quality yeast, especially when brewing high-alcohol beer styles
Allow beer to ferment and age for the proper amount of time
Eliminate bacterial infections by maintaining sterile brewing techniques

The book explains that acetylaldehyde is made during fermentation, then processed into ethanol. If the yeast is too weak for the style of beer being made, it can poop out before this conversion is complete.

It says that acetyladehyde can also be present in young beer. Ethanol can also be oxidized back to acetyladehyde and acetic acid. This is interesting to me since it seems there is a window where the level is in tolerable range.

The book also says that acetyladehyde can be caused by bacterial infection.

Sorry for the long reply, perhaps I should wander into the drunken Rumblings forum. :mug:

- magno

No, thats great information. I was just checking out Mr.GoodBeers flavor troubleshooting guide and was trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with my beers.

Nothing makes me more sad then dumping 10 gallons of "beer". Now I'm sure its becuase I've been using started yeast for a 5 gallon batch on 10 gallons of beer.

Are there downfalls to lots of yeast? Persay I used a 30 ounces of thick active yeast slurry in a 5 gallon batch...

Ultimatly this is my problem. My beer has a very off flavor. Its hard to explain, but I would almost say it has a chemical apple juice taste to it. Even after I hit it in a corny keg with CO2(not shaken) and set it in a fridge for a week or two. I would think that the flavor would start to turn out by then. Worst off, is that its a consitant problem with all my brews, except my lagers and my stouts (can't figure that one out).

If anyone has any insight for my very frustrating problem then please set me to ease

I also have been having some acetaldehyde problems in my beers. I think it stems from kegging and bottling too soon without letting the beer sit long enough on the yeast. Time does help the problem, especially with higher gravity beers that like time. Don't dump it and try it a few weeks to months after bottling. Mine got better. Good luck

Johann

Party pigged: Sam Smith's Taddy Porter
Fermenting: Munich Helles @ 43 degrees

Nothing makes me more sad then dumping 10 gallons of "beer".

I wouldnt dump it just yet. Give it some more time. How old is it now?

Are there downfalls to lots of yeast? Persay I used a 30 ounces of thick active yeast slurry in a 5 gallon batch...

I have heard that there is a limit to the amount of yeast that you should pitch, but that this limit is rarely acheived by hombrewers. 30 oz in 5 gal might be over that limit though... I dont know

Worst off, is that its a consitant problem with all my brews, except my lagers and my stouts (can't figure that one out).

Stouts are usually more flavor forgiving than other beer styles. Perhaps the lagers do not have it because of the longer aging period?

- magno

Back