Cigar City Jai Alai White Oak Aged IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbaldman

Reaction score
Just showed up in my local beer store. Wow, what a great beer. I lack the vernacular to give it a "pro" review but the difference between the oaked Jai Alai and the regular is profound. The vanilla flavors from the oak really round out the body and balance (bridge?) the hoppiness. I'm going to buy more of this and do a side by side with some of my regular favorites. Cigar City continues to impress.

The only one of their beers I've had is the Maduro Brown, and it is great. I really want to hit up their tasting room, but I hate Tampa.

the difference between the oaked Jai Alai and the regular is profound. The vanilla flavors from the oak really round out the body and balance (bridge?) the hoppiness.

I have to agree - the white oak really gives it a silky smooth mouthfeel and takes a little bite off the hops. It is fantastic.

I would have passed on it just because of the ridiculously long and pretentious name. Thanks for sharing! I willtry it if I can find it.

I read that, traditionally, any wood flavor in an IPA was considered a flaw. Brewer's pitch was used to coat the inside of the barrels just so this flavor wouldn't be imparted on the IPA as it made it's long voyage from England to India.

That's just trivia, though, so no point lambasting me for bringing it up: I look forward to trying this oaked IPA.

I'll pick some up today if I can find it. Will be interesting how the oak compares to the Spanish Cedar they usually use for their wood-aged beers.

I had some at the tasting room in Tampa today. A very complex and interesting beer; nothing at all like either the base beer or the Humidor version. I wouldn't order more than a pint at a time though.

The Vuja De (Flemish Red) was a very pleasant surprise!

It's a top 5 beer for me. An outstanding beer, the oakey flavors at so subtle and really balance with the hops.

Back