Rookie Question - Tannin and Acid Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinnasst

Reaction score
My first finished mead is about ready to be bottled. It fermented out completely dry, which is what I wanted, but it tastes...flat. It lacks body and crispness. It was basically a honey-flavored, boozy water.

The recipe I used is very simple:
7lb Clover Honey
3 tsp yeast nutrient
Water to 3 gallons.
Lavlin EC-1118 Yeast

I know that one can add body with grape tannin and crispness with acid blend. However, being mainly a beer guy, I have no idea how much to use.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Try adding 1/8 teaspoon of each & waiting a few days before you taste it. Keep adding till it reaches the level you like. I takes time, but it works & helps to prevent adding too much. Regards, GF.

Is that per gallon? Can I just drop the powder in the top of the carboy, or should I suspend/dissolve in a small amount of water?

Would that be per gallon?

Correct. 1/8 teaspoon per gallon, to taste. You should mix the dry powder into a little water, or must before adding it to your carbouy as adding dry powders to liquids full of CO2 will oftentimes cause the CO2 to come out of solution & foam all over. And when you stir to mix stir slowly & try not to introduce any oxygen, at this point oxygen can ruin your product. You could also draw off a sample, do some math to adjust measurements & add acid/tannin to taste. Then you'd know exactly how much to add to the carbouy & could add the total amount all at once simply by racking onto it. Either way will work. Regards, GF.

It's just me, and I don't know what yeast you used but 7# seems a little light for 3 a gallon batch. That might also be where the watery characteristic comes from. Remember you can always add more tannins/acids you will find, however, it much more difficult to remove them. :) Good luck and keep us posted. I'd like to hear how it turns out.

It's just me, and I don't know what yeast you used but 7# seems a little light for 3 a gallon batch. That might also be where the watery characteristic comes from. Remember you can always add more tannins/acids you will find, however, it much more difficult to remove them. :) Good luck and keep us posted. I'd like to hear how it turns out.

I agree I use about 15-20# for a 5-6 gallon batch normally. That does produce a sweeter mead, but it has plenty of flavor.

I agree with the folks above in general. I'd try 1/4 tsp of acid blend per gallon and wait 4-5 days to sample and evaluate before adding more.

This is only my second attempt at a mead. The first one I used ~10 lb for a 3 gallon batch (and overdid the acid blend) and that sucker just would not ferment out. Once you got past the acidity, it had a cloying sweetness, and was not (for me) the least bit enjoyable.

I have had a few commercial examples and have always preferred the drier meads.

So for the second attempt, I cut back on the honey, and have waited on the tannin/acid blend. I'll be racking again in a couple weeks (maybe). I'll be adding some tannin/acid blend then

Any recommendations for a good basic dry mead recipe I can use as the basis for a 3rd atttempt?

It depends on what you mean by "dry" like paint-thinner or like EW's Apfelwein?

My post over here shows my third mead, which is an exact replica of my first except I added a little vit C. And the first mead was nice, but did take at least 8 months to age out the tannins. I expect this one to be the same.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/beautiful-kraeusen-krausen-mead-but-why-105662/

Also check out gotmead.com and "The Complete Mead Maker".
I like my meads somewhat in the middle like apfelwein.

Good luck and don't forget to post what you've decided to go with.

Back