American Vs British Pint Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

British Vs American Pint Glass

• British

• American

• Neither: German Dimple Stein!

Results are only viewable after voting.
It depends on the beer really but, I usually go for the nonic. I have a pretty good collection going.

Really do miss my one and only dimple stein though. I don't care if they are heavy or out of favor in England. They are classic.

But mine still have the Queen's Crown on them, making them official.

By way of comparison,TimSTi:

This is an American pint glass:

This is a British pint glass (notice the slight bulge near the rim):

This is a dimpled mug:

The former holds 16 US fluid ounces, which is one US pint or 473mL. The latter two hold 20 imperial fluid ounces, which is an Imperial pint, or 568mL.

If people are talking about a glass not featured in this post, they are officially of-topic.

:D

Make sense now?

Bob

Thanks Bob! Ive seen em all before just didn't know exactly which was which. :mug:

Really do miss my one and only dimple stein though. I don't care if they are heavy or out of favor in England. They are classic.

Local to where I lived, they were called "window glasses" They are cumbersome sods, but good for beer drinking games. 1 penalty = Drink down to the next window. :)

I love Nonics but can't find them up here. My only example is a Stone Brewing one.

What I'd really like to get that I haven't seen in donkey's is a dimpled 1/2 pint. Reminds me of what Rumpole would drink at the lunch break. Also when I was a kid and we'd go back to Scotland I remember they use to serve the men pints and the women half pints in those dimple steins. They wouldn't even ask. Men drank pints. Women drank half pints. Period.

The other ex-pats are right I haven't seen a dimpled pint in a pub in Britain in years. Still I wonder what they serve the half pints in? Never having ordered one myself.

Rudeboy

Left... English Pint With mark- Pint : Crown : 562

Center... Vermont Pint- note size

Right... Sentimental choice- Catamount Brewery

glass1.jpg

Crate & Barrel makes a 24 oz. pilsner glass for $3. Perfect if you bottle into bombers. I really wish they'd make it like a pint glass though.

Also when I was a kid and we'd go back to Scotland I remember they use to serve the men pints and the women half pints in those dimple steins. They wouldn't even ask. Men drank pints. Women drank half pints. Period.

I've heard this is common in Ireland as well. The women get the small glass because it looks better in thier hand or some crap.

The British one is the way to go because you actually get a pint (16 ounces) of beer! With the American pint, it would have to be to the rim for 16 ounces!
With the head, your getting about 14 ounces.
Watch out for the places using pint glasses the same size as the 16 oz but with an extra thick glass base. Those are 14 oz to the rim so with the head, you get about 12 ounces but they price you for a "pint"!

I like the British nonick style,no matter if it's English 16oz or American 12oz. Classic style that gives something to grab onto. I got one (broke the other!) George Killian's nonick I'm going to use later after I bottle my pm cascade pale ale in a bit. Still cleanin & filtering my starsan. Darn pets! Dang dog hair sticks like crazy. Gunna get the grains,super moss,etc for my next pm batch. I'm experimenting with converting my all extract pale ale into partial mash very soon for Christmas with NZ hops. I got a pound of them in the freezer,5 varieties.

Back