my homebrew gives me HORRIBLE gas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
I drank 4 homebrews last night and i was ripping seriously stinky farts for about 6 hours. If this is the case i dont know if im gonna be able to drink anymore of this lol. it was midwest supplies smooth nut brown ale

amber malt extract
brown sugar
1oz glacier hops
1/2oz tradition hops

munton's dry yeast

Was it really cloudy? Also, did you happen to drink the yeast sediment on the bottom? If you did, don't drink it next time.

no it wasnt cloudy and i did not pour the yeast into the glass.

maybe it was what i ate last night? I will drink some more tonight and see if its the cause

If you had a high final gravity you had left over unfermented sugars in the beer and your stomach "ferments" the rest, resulting in gas.
my FG was dead on with that the recipe said it should be. but its gonna be hard to drink the rest of this beer knowing i will be up all night tearing ass.

No matter how hard you try, when you bottle, you will always get SOME yeast in your pour. The good thing is, your body will eventually get used to it, and your methane production will soon taper off.

I don't know exactly, thats what I've heard. alot of the belgian beers do that to me. What was the FG, it might have been right on, but if it was above 1.020 or so it makes it sweet because of the left over fermentables. you balance this by bittering it. Barleywines are a good example of this.

It's the yeast still in suspension in your brew. Aging it longer will help, as more of the critters will settle out, though they'll always be there (and that's a good thing for the beer). I will say, though, that your system will get used to it in a week or two. Nonetheless it's important to not be the only person in the room drinking homebrew.

I don't know exactly, thats what I've heard. alot of the belgian beers do that to me. What was the FG, it might have been right on, but if it was above 1.020 or so it makes it sweet because of the left over fermentables. you balance this by bittering it. Barleywines are a good example of this.

1.012 was the final gravity. i will ask my dad who also had a couple of my HBs if he had the same problem.

well it shouldn't be because of the left over unfermentables then. It may be the yeast like they're saying. but i've had that happen to me with filtered beer. so who knows.

I always considered the extra gas just another added bonus of homebrewing :D But then, I have never been accused of being particularly mature ;)

What happens if you have a homebrew, and then eat something with a lot of sugar? Will it start fermenting in your stomach? I've definitely had some bad gas from my first batch, but its pretty much gone away.

Yep, it's the whole "live culture" issue. Unless you're used to it, active yogurt and homebrew will give you the stank until your gut learns to deal with the "active ingredients".

It should dissipate with some time as your body adapts to the yeast. But, frankly, even BMC leads to same fairly fragrant wind afterwards.

Yep, it's the whole "live culture" issue. Unless you're used to it, active yogurt and homebrew will give you the stank until your gut learns to deal with the "active ingredients".

It should dissipate with some time as your body adapts to the yeast. But, frankly, even BMC leads to same fairly fragrant wind afterwards.

Yes, this is true. It's kind of like anything else in your diet- my husband and I are used to eating lots of, um, gassy veggies like cabbage and beans. Believe me, if your body isn't used to it, it could be deadly for a spouse. We have been drinking unfiltered wines and homebrews for years, though and I don't think homebrew has ever really caused any issues for us, but I think once your body adapts you'll not have too many issues.

If the beer is young, too, you'll notice more effects. Once it's aged a bit, it seems to be less dangerous.

What is your body used to consuming? If you have previously been drinking more mass produced beer this will continue. I get the same amount of gas no matter what beer I drink... that said, when I first started ripping into microbrews and some imports.... lookout :(

After a while your body will adapt to the consumption of yeast and all the other goodies that come with good beer. Also, you can be happy knowing that the beer you are drinking now is very healthy because of all those fart making components. Live yeast and many other ingredients that go into quality beer are very beneficial to your health!

So cheers, to delicious and healthy brew:mug: (even if you have to enjoy them in a secluded place with a lot of wind for a while;))

I really don't care how much I fart, but my Fiancee on the other hand keeps a can of air freshener and a set of nose plugs with her at all times recently.

Its not just the beer you made, I believe its unfiltered homebrews in general. Same thing happened to me during my homebrew class. The instructor had 7 on tap during class and doesn't filter any of them. Also have noticed it with my first several batches

I asked my dad and he had no farts after drinking my homebrew. lucky him because it kept me awake all night. the stench rose from the bed sheets up into my nostrils.

It won't last - I would enjoy it while you can.:D

BTW - every now and again this will come up with me again. Very randomly I will have a very productive evening.

oh farting doesn't come from homebrew, it comes from everywhere...but then again, I'm so freaking gassy it's kinda funny.

But seriously, your body will get used to it, and you'll be just fine

See, if I were to set up an equation with beer consumption on one side and gaseousness on the other, and began to notice a direct correlation between the two... I doubt that would have any impact at all on my beer consumption!

Then, of course, I am vegan. So having pseudo-excessive gas on a regular basis is second nature to me.

This morning, my **** smelled like Amarillo hops. It's a beautiful thing. The other day, it smelled of English Cluster hops.

Homebrew gas is *way* better than barbecue-meat gas though. Hooooly, that can reek sometimes.

I usually still laugh at my own farts. :D

+1 to this. Farts will always be just a little bit funny.

ok, probably just sheer coincidence (sp) but my ass is foul from a few HB's tonight....and hot upon exit

figured out mine was just all the eggs and chili powder I had for dinner

I could go in a different direction, but I think I'll keep it PG-13 for once :)

My boyfriend's father had serious issues when we first started making beer. After the first batch his stomach seemed to calm down a little.

I get exactly what everyone is saying but from BMC instead of homebrew.

Drink too much BMC and I'm having to check and make sure there were no *SPECIAL PRIZES* delivered.

First off, I', Dutch and seriously wondering where the hell the expression "Dutch oven" came from :p

Second, Do you guys also get that weird churning feeling in the gut just before the more 'prolific' moments?

Back