The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
What is the absolutely stupidest thing anyone has said to you concerning how your beer tastes?

I gave some to my chiropractor, somehow expecting a somewhat intelligent comment, since he appears to be a somewhat intelligent person.

He said, "Wow, that stuff had quite a kick!"

My SWMBO, (love her to death), always takes her first taste of something new, and says, "Kind of heavy!"

DUH

Funny - I've had both of those comments too. I don't know if they're "stupid" comments, just people trying to describe what they're tasting without the correct words to describe what they like or don't like.

I get "dark" quite a bit too. Most of my beers aren't dark at all, but I guess anything that isn't piss-yellow and fizzy is "dark".

Friend trying The Hobgoblen.. . "Man this thing is hoppy" Me "WTF you mean malty" No its really hoppy..
Me Try to explain..
Him argue
Me.. What ever...

About a superhopped IPA:
"Wow, you really used a lot of holiday spices!"

About a MALTY Scottish ale:
"This is REALLY hoppy! Good thing...I love hops!"

About anything darker than BMC (from the same guy more than once):
"This is supposed to be like Guinness, huh?"

About ALL of my beer (from a BMC-sworn friend);
"This is good beer...for someone else."

"Man! That stuff will get you drunk!

Which one did you like the best?

Man! That stuff will get you drunk!

my cousin always tells me how this pint would go great with a plate of irish stew that he is dreaming of making. jesus christ, he's greek for the love of god!!! :D

"You should have added a couple more pounds of 2-row & boosted the gravity."

It's a freak'n Schwartzbier, not an RIS!

SWMBO, whenever I pour myself a Bock or Brown Ale:

"Looks like motor oil." (she doesn't like beer)

My BIL when I handed him a homebrew for the first time:

"Is this going to give me the sh!ts??":rolleyes:

My BIL always he says he loves it. Even my piss poor first Mr. Beer batch. This is unfortunate because other than myself he drinks the most. I could really use an honest opinion from time to time.

68 year old Filipino Mother in law:
"It's such a waste to leave beer in the bottom of the bottle like that. Can't you just drink it? Or filter it out like Budweiser?"

40 year old drinking buddy:
"Leave some in the bottle? F that, ill chew that crap if I have to"

Sidenote:
At the end of the night, in a complete drunked stupor, he did in fact, "chew that crap". He emptied all the bottles (about 15-20) into one large glass and drank/chewed all of our sediment.

Upon trying my RIS
"Wow it really tastes a lot like Guinness"

Giving a Fat Tire clone that I had named Fat Tired and Lazy to a friends girlfriend, and upon her learning the name:
"Wait! why'd you give me THIS one?"

The most common one I get is "I don't like dark beers". Second most common is "You made this?"

from someone i thought would know better:

him: heh this is good, taste's like sam adams lager
me: it's an ipa

capcrnch said:
40 year old drinking buddy:
"Leave some in the bottle? F that, ill chew that crap if I have to"

I love that! Atta boy!! :rockin:

I get a lot of "You MADE this?!" (It's not rocket science, people.)

Here's my favorite. You gotta love it when the hard core BMC drinkers ask for a sample:

"No, you won't like it."
"Please, please," they say.
"Seriously, no," I reply, "You really won't like it. Trust me"
The begging continues, and finally wins.
Then comes the expected:
"Dude, this suuucks! How can you drink this ****e? It's not even beer!"

I think the only reason they try it is so they can tell you they don't like it.

Upon telling someone that I am a homebrewer:

Me: "Yeah i brew my own beer, not really a big deal"
Them: "so you like the dark stuff, huh?" (said with stupid azz grin)
Me: "And the light and the amber and the brown"
Them: "is that legal?"
Me: "No, I have it set up right next to my meth lab"
Them: "that **** will F you up huh?"
Me: "Yeah it's like drinking shine, Get A Life!"

WOP31 said:
Upon telling someone that I am a homebrewer:

Me: "Yeah i brew my own beer, not really a big deal"
Them: "so you like the dark stuff, huh?" (said with stupid azz grin)
Me: "And the light and the amber and the brown"
Them: "is that legal?"
Me: "No, I have it set up right next to my meth lab"
Them: "that **** will F you up huh?"
Me: "Yeah it's like drinking shine, Get A Life!"

Of all the people I've told I homebrew, 90% have asked me if it was legal, 80% have made a moonshine reference, and 100% of people that have seen my setup have either asked me if it was dangerous, if something could explode, or made a meth "joke". I think they see all the thermometers and assume they're pressure gauges or something......

People are silly.

I gave some of my first ever batch to my friend, a Bud Light Only drinker. (Should have known better huh?)

Her response: "It's pretty good. I mean, it's no Bud Light, but it's good."

She doesn't get any more beer.

Jim Karr said:
What is the absolutely stupidest thing anyone has said to you concerning how your beer tastes?

I gave some to my chiropractor, somehow expecting a somewhat intelligent comment, since he appears to be a somewhat intelligent person.

He said, "Wow, that stuff had quite a kick!"

My SWMBO, (love her to death), always takes her first taste of something new, and says, "Kind of heavy!"

DUH

The in-laws tried my first batch and said "It was good. It was carbonated." Maybe they drink flat beer a lot?

MULE said:
About my Honey Pale Ale.... from the hot blond chick next door.
Her ...."Wow I would buy this. It doesn't make me burp that nasty stuff"
Me .... "Great! Here is another"
SWMBO .... "......"
Me .... "What ?? She likes it"

:mug:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

:cross:

I was trying to have a relaxing, quiet moment at my local brew pub when this guy interrupted my solitude and kept trying to engage in some mundane conversation so I turned the subject to one of my favorites, homebrewing.
Me: "I make my own beer and it's every bit as good or better than some of the brews here, or so my friends tell me."
Idiot: "Yeah but you can't make something as good as Budweiser, can you?"
WTF!!!

From a male friend of my wifes: "You know, I tried this expecting it to taste like $#!T! But this is really good. I wanted to razz you but you gotta show me how to do this for myself!"

On a related note, we were at a brew pub in Hermann MO. during Octoberfest, a guy walks in and YELLS "They don't even have AMERICAN beer here! Where's the AMERICAN beer!?! I want a Miller Lite!"

People!!

Upon offering a dunkel . . .

"No, thanks. I only drink lagers"
"It is a lager. It's a German style that's more on the sweet side. Give it a shot."
"No, thanks. I mean, I only drink lagers."

Upon offering my American Brownish/Reddish thing . . .

"That's great! Can I drink a whole one, or will it get me drunk?"

TL

TexLaw said:
Upon offering a dunkel . . .

"No, thanks. I only drink lagers"
"It is a lager. It's a German style that's more on the sweet side. Give it a shot."
"No, thanks. I mean, I only drink lagers."

Upon offering my American Brownish/Reddish thing . . .

"That's great! Can I drink a whole one, or will it get me drunk?"

TL

Lol and Lol :D

Hmm I dunno if I have recieved any stupid comments. I am fortunate that my family and friends all like good beer so they have at least a good background. I dunno what my reaction would be to someone who thinks a Lager is another name for a piss yellow skunk in a bottle :p

Back