Maple wheat Clone brew AG, should I add more More maple at kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Just in the middle of an all grain Maple Wheat. It tells me to add some maple syrup to prime when bottling (from book Clone Brews). I also did the all grain method. My question is, should I add the extra maple syrup upon kegging? I don't need the sugar for carbonating (obviously) but wondering if it would affect the maple flavor....

Thanks in advance. Also as a side note it is two weeks after pitching now and still bubbling a few times a minute through the air lock.... Wonder if it will ever finish...

Is maple syrup the only thing the recipe calls for at bottling? If it calls for the syrup and another sugar, add the normal amount of syrup. If it only calls for the syrup, you can add less and still get some maple flavor. You could even just prime with the syrup in the keg instead of force carbing.

It does call for priming sugar too. I figured I would omit this as it is not for flavor. (I thought) i also thought if added I would add it at the end of secondary and let it settle a touch longer to avoid cloudy beer in the keg.

I'd just skip the priming sugar and add the syrup the way that the recipe calls for. I shop at the hbs owned by the couple that wrote Clone Brews, they definitely know what they're talking about.

Welcome to the forum:mug:

I'd skip the syrup. If it's not going to be fermented out, it might make your beer too, well, syrupy.

sounds like the syrup is part of the flavor profile. add it, skip the priming sugar. some of it will ferment and give you a jump start on carbing in the keg. I'd let it sit at room temp for a week in the keg before you put it on gas (other than using CO2 to purge the headspace)

You might consider (natural) maple flavor extract. It's tough to get much maple flavor adding syrup since it all ferments off. I bottle a maple blonde this past weekend. I added the flavor extract to taste at bottling... a little over 1 fluid ounce.

Back