Trouble with MyPin TD4 Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matkon

Reaction score
Looking for some help with my MyPin TD4 Temp Controllers. I have two hooked up to PID's and upon turning them on for the first time they are both registering a temperature over 500 degrees.

Obviously this is incorrect, and I am unable to figure out how to fix this issue.

I am not sure if it is my wiring or something I have to do with controller.

Any one have any experience with this controller who could lend some advice.

Thanks,
Matkon

What Thermo are you using and what are you hooking it too? It took me a while to get mine hooked up right because the instructions are so crappy. I am using a PT100 3 wire...and had to make a short jumper wire to get it to work correctly.

Works great now :mug:

I am having some trouble hooking up my PT100 3 wire probes up to the pid. What is the propers connection scheme for the three wire (red white black) to the MyPin TD4?

Cheers

The wires should be two of the same color, and one odd one. Are you saying you have three different colored wires (the actual wires, not just the connectors)?

Yes I have three different colored wires on the PT100 probe red, white, and black.

You need to measure the resistance between all of the wires with a multimeter. Red to black, red to white, and white to black. If you do have a 3 wire PT100 then 2 of your measurements should be 100 ohms and the third should be less than 1 ohm. The 2 wires that measure really low are the two that would normally be the same color.

If you don't measure that then you may have a 2 wire RTD with a ground shield.

Thanks this helps a lot. Once I determine the low resistance wires, those go to ports 8 & 9 on the My Pin TD4?

I have this same PID and a PT100 thermocouple I bought from Amazon. Any way that I hook up the PT100 I get PV of UUUU, except when I hook it up in a way that seems wrong, and then I get -401. Do I need to set it up so that it displays -401 and then calibrate it somehow?

I measured the resistance and hooked up the lows to 7 & 10 and have 8 & 9 jumped with A connected to 8 or 9, and I am just getting a 0000 temp reading on booth PIDs. Double checked the RTD settings, not sure what I am doing wrong...

I'm glad you were able to figure it out... the Chinese to Engrish instructions suck.

Thanks for the help. I just bought a Mypin TD4 and a PT100 sensor. I had it in my head that I had a K type thermocouple, that's not correct. If you're having trouble with with crazy temp readouts, over 1000 degrees, make sure the PID is set to the right sensor type. The setting "InP" should be set to "Pt". After I did that, the read out went to within 10 degrees of what another thermometer is saying. The "PVF" setting will calibrate that correctly.

thx a lot for the help guys!! But i have a little problem. i have a pid td4-snr. the probe is a pt100, according to the manual when the pid is turned on it starts with autotune mode (the AT/M led is turned off) but in this mode when the temperature is less the SV parameter OUT1 flases insteat to be dix. Why? In order to let the pid operate well i have to enter the autotuning estate (pressing set & <</M) and the pid works well. Why this appens? thx a lot

Not sure if you figured this out but I just finished a system using this pid.

The way mine works is the the SV reading is the temp you are trying to achieve and the PV your actual. The Out1 is the main burner and will flash depending on the % of power applied. If you press the Set key it will toggle the set temp and % of power being sent to your burner. At 100% the Out1 will be solid. Anything less, it will flash on and off.

Fill your kettle to the desired level and set a desired temp in SV. Let the autotune complete and AT/M should go out.

From there just play around with SV setting and let you kettle move to different temps. Out1 will be on until it gets close to your set temp and start to flash to maintain.

When you decide to go into manual mode hold <</M until AT/M lights. Press Set to see the % of power to your burner. Reduce that number once you reach a boil.

I know is sounds crazy but once you do it a time or two it makes sense.

My boss put me in charge of building a kegerator. I have zero experience with any of this equipment. I think I got the wiring right, but who knows. I am getting a correct temp reading inside the cooler. I have it set at 40 right now with the alarm set for 1 degree. When the temp drops below 39 the alarm goes off but the cooler keeps dropping. It fluctuates between 36-40, but the cooler and the MyPin make some pretty bad noises. Without the MyPin the cooler goes all the way down to 30, so I am doing something right, but not right enough. Anyone have suggestions for getting the temperature to remain constant? Thanks.

You can turn off PID mode and put it in standard on/off mode. You are essentially turning on and off power to you kegerator hundreds of times a minute... The compressor will hate you for this and eventually fail.

To do that you:

You have to press and hold the <</M button to switch modes back and forth. Still may have to push the set button to display the percentage - otherwise it will still display a temperature set point. Not sure why it would display a temp set point in manual mode but I know there are a plethora of applications for these devices so there must be some use for it.

So which mode do I want? Will the AT/M light be on or off? And do I want to set a temperature or set a %? Thanks for the help.

Fixed all the settings. Seemed to work except when the cooler cut off it never came back on. Switched the settings back and now nothing can get the cooler to turn back on. I didnt touch the wiring, and the cooler still works when plugged directly into the wall. Any idea why this is happening. The Out1 light is on and none of the alarms are triggered.

Back