Dunkel help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsayers

Reaction score
I am experiencing an odd aftertaste in my first attempt at a dunkel. I wish I could describe it better but the only way I can think to describe it is to say that it has a very sour aftertaste. Its not bad up front but that first exhale out of the nose after taking a drink is very overpowering. It reminds me of when a sour candy hits that spot on side of the back of my tongue.

Below is the recipe. Nothing abnormal during the brew day. Hit my temps. Mashed at 154. Cooled wort to room temp in about 20 mins. Fermentation started quickly. I sampled some of it when transferring to 2ndary and it had a similar flavor but I hoped it would age out a little. I brewed this on 9/24 and it was bottled about a month ago.

Any help would be appreciated. If you live in the Akron area, I'll bring you a bottle and you can give me your thoughts.

Thanks!
JB

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.00 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency 82.8 %

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Wheat Malt, American (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 51.1 %
4 lbs Munich Malt, American - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 34.0 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.5 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.1 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.1 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.1 %
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 9.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG

I'm not familiar with this beer type but usually a "sour" taste means a infected beer. Don't go by my comment. Hopefully someone else will know more about this particular beer. Cheers.

I'm not familiar with this beer type but usually a "sour" taste means a infected beer. Don't go by my comment. Hopefully someone else will know more about this particular beer. Cheers.

I'd be suspect of that except I saw no signs during fermentation and I think my sanitation methods are reliable. I have a degree in microbiology and use aseptic techniques in the lab. So far not an issue with the 3 other brews I've done. Guess I shouldn't rule it out though.

Thanks,
JB

jbsayers said:
I'd be suspect of that except I saw no signs during fermentation and I think my sanitation methods are reliable. I have a degree in microbiology and use aseptic techniques in the lab. So far not an issue with the 3 other brews I've done. Guess I shouldn't rule it out though.

Thanks,
JB

No problem. Like I said I'm not familiar with this brew. I hope it all works out. May just need to give the beer some age too. Read a article a long time ago about aging beer and this guy was saying a good rule of thumb is one week to every 1% abv. Pretty cool advice and makes sense. Cheers my friend.

One of my dunkels had rotten egg smell, it was pretty nasty at beginning but it disappear after month in fridge.

Latest posts

Back