Fermentation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kermitbeer

Reaction score
At Sunday when I move into my bottling stage and open my fermenting bottle, I saw a ribbon mold like substance on top. What did I do wrong? It is a honey ale. We remove the mold like solid ribbon and proceed with the bottling. Today, I had 4 bottle brew exploded... Please help. The beer still good after the bottling stage is done.

OK, I'm trying to follow everything you just said. It sounds like you just might be talking about some yeast on the top of the beer. I can't be sure, but I see this a lot in my beer and used to worry that it was mold as well.

Did you take pictures of the mold-like substance? Can you post them here for us to see?

Also, if the beer tastes good (Even after the bottle bomb), you're beer is probably fine.

If you continue to have bottle bombs, I'd suggest throwing your beer bottles into the fridge to stop the bottle conditioning.

I didn't take a picture of it. I did skim the mold-like substance before bottling.

So putting the bottled beer in the fridge can decrease further carbonation?
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, putting it in the fridge will slow/stall the yeast from doing their thing. Which results in carbonation that stays where it's at. It's still possible for some activity, although significantly slower.

Back