Sam adams boston lager clone fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collikunas

Reaction score
On Saturday we brewed the Sam's Boston lager clone and it doesn't appear to be fermenting like the other beers we've brewed. The recipe calls for the primary fermentation at the temp range of 47-52•F. I'm wondering if since it's so cold the lager yeast aren't as vigorous as ale yeasts? Or do you think I got a batch of inactive yeast? Should I take the specific gravity to check?

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!!

As a general rule lager fermentation is not as aggresive as an ale fermentation. Also, for a lager you want a huge yeast starter. If it was a kit and you just used the yeast that came with it, you probably underpitched and it will take even longer to get going, or finish.

We cant help unless you tell us what temp the beer is at and how much yeast you pitched.

Thanks,

We pitched it at 54 degrees and it was in a premeasured vial we bought at the brewer supply store and it is currently at 50 degrees.

Latest posts

Back